Free Chicken Apron/Saddle Pattern

Pics
I need a saddle that will protect the back but also under the wings a bit. Do saddles cover along the chicken's sides a bit?

My EE is getting her feathers ripped out by my mean girl RIR but I can tell when I separate them that my EE is a little lonely so I want them to try and be together but just with a little extra protection. However, I live on Guam so it is hot hot hot and humid so I can't use a fabric that is too heavy/hot/dark. I'm also not a great sewer...

If you have a template that uses just a thin piece of fabric without any real insulation can I see?

Or if you've bought any that are nice and light weight, where did you buy them from?

Thanks!

I made one from denim with elastic straps that seems to stay pretty well. She was getting a bald spot I thought from either getting pecked or from the rooster, no sores on her skin just missing feathers. Everything I read said the feathers would grow in under the vest. She's had it on since November. I looked under the vest this weekend because the weather was warm and she's bald under there! No skin sores, but she looks like a plucked chicken! Do you think the fabric is rubbing so she can't grow them back? I am going to take that off and make a new one from felt. If I make slits in the felt, how do you get the wings in without breaking any feathers? Thanks for your help!

Auroradream26 byc name makes saddles i just bought from her and they are great. The craftsmanship speeks for it self.

I need a saddle that will protect the back but also under the wings a bit. Do saddles cover along the chicken's sides a bit?

My EE is getting her feathers ripped out by my mean girl RIR but I can tell when I separate them that my EE is a little lonely so I want them to try and be together but just with a little extra protection. However, I live on Guam so it is hot hot hot and humid so I can't use a fabric that is too heavy/hot/dark. I'm also not a great sewer...

If you have a template that uses just a thin piece of fabric without any real insulation can I see?

Or if you've bought any that are nice and light weight, where did you buy them from?

Thanks!

I second this idea. I'm in Florida, and it's already hitting 80+ each day, but my two buff orps are looking terribly naked. I can't imagine that scotch guard would keep the fabric from getting damp here. has anyone used a thin cotton?? something that can get wet and get dry again without irritating the skin underneath?
help!!

How do you add wing protectors to the pattern. Is it the same pattern the other poster had a picture of?

I want to make a chicken vest. I made one out muslin and tried it on one my hens. It fit well but I am at a stand still regarding the fabric to use. I'm afraid if the fabric gets wet in the rain, she will be wet and maybe the vest will freeze. Any thoughts?

I found this free pattern on http://www.homesteadingtoday.com, from "Wisconsin Ann".

It has come to my attention that the thread we usually point to with the pattern for a chicken apron/saddle has broken links in it now so, I found the pattern on my harddrive, and here it is! I think. I know this one works, 'cuz I've used it. Cut on the fold (the narrow "neck" end is the fold) and turn thru the unstitched area on the butt.

Add either an elastic or a 1/3"ish wide twilltape/belting/whatever you have as armholes...attached at the foldline/neck, and the other end to the wide area. Most hens will wear them quite happily. They seem to adjust them a bit when you first put them on, then forget about them.

I'll keep trying to find more on the pattern.

52301_apron2.jpg
Thanks so much for this pattern and the thread to see others too. Guess I'll pull out a sewing machine and give it a try.I love the cotton calico ones but sounds like denim is a better choice. Since I am an artist and have a small breed dog designer clothing business, I've tons of material to try out. Thank you again:)

This thread is soooooo neato! I want to make these!

Do you think if I could attach little mirrors, or mirrored bottons, the shiney reflection would scare the raptors and help protect the girls from hawks and owls?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom