"Free-choice"

lwiese58

Songster
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
Cleveland, GA
I'm reading in several places the term "Free-choice" in reference to what people are feeding their chickens. Would someone please explain what this means?
Thanks

That means it is available 24/7 or at least all the time the chickens are awake. If referring to grit or oyster shell it means always available in a separate container from the feed.

Thanks so much! To me it seems like there is so much to learn, then I meet people who just started right in and didn't ever even go to sites like this. I'm so eager to know so much, then I wonder if I'm overthinking it.

LOL It s like being a new mom-worrying over everything with them at first. And you are exactly right-everyone goes at this so differently-just pick what makes the most sense. People have been raising chicks for so long with very little attention-and I sit here pouring over reading materials, reading everything on BYC and second guessing everything I do with them. But thats what makes having chickens so fun!

My latest reading has been on the whole fermented feeding-people seem to have such great results-yet I worry about feeding food that might be "bad"...
barnie.gif

I think it is easier if one doesn't fret and use common sense. Think what jungle fowl would do or how chickens were raised before there was electricity.

I'm reading in several places the term "Free-choice" in reference to what people are feeding their chickens. Would someone please explain what this means?
Thanks

As mentioned, free-choice just means that their food and supplements are available to them at all times. I use a combination of both methods. Every morning at 0400 Hours, when I let them out of the coop right before leaving for work, I give the eleven chickens roughly five cups of fermented Start & Grow crumbles. They attack it like a crack addict getting his fix.

Since they free-range all day in a yard that has dirt, rocks, and a sandbox, I don't supply grit. They have plenty of access to it. Otherwise, I leave a separate container of crushed egg shells right by the back door for the girls to get whenever they need it. If your hens are laying, you should always have supplemental calcium available, even if you use the "layers feed." Theoretically, it should have enough calcium in it, but many still complain of soft-shelled eggs. Crushed limestone (NOT dolomitic limestone), well crushed egg shells that have been dried, and crushed oyster shell are the three recommended types. We use the egg shells because they are completely free and very easy to acquire. My parents and their six kids generate a good amount of them, plus what my family does. I'm building a stock pile and may offer it free to others nearby.

LOL It s like being a new mom-worrying over everything with them at first. And you are exactly right-everyone goes at this so differently-just pick what makes the most sense. People have been raising chicks for so long with very little attention-and I sit here pouring over reading materials, reading everything on BYC and second guessing everything I do with them. But thats what makes having chickens so fun!

My latest reading has been on the whole fermented feeding-people seem to have such great results-yet I worry about feeding food that might be "bad"...
barnie.gif

Hi, my name is Scott and I'm an Information Addict. Like you, I pour over thread after thread, eager for more knowledge. When it comes down to it, though, I do my best to leave the chickens alone and let nature take it's course. I use the Deep Litter method in their coop and let them forage all day. I generally close the door once they all go to roost at night (except my wife's Silkies, who refuse to coop themselves), and let them out at 0400 Hours when I leave for work with about five cups of fermented feed for the day. Otherwise, they just do their thing.

I have become a very firm advocate of the fermented feed. It has done wonders for my girls. They are growing and thriving like never before. My three layers have been consistently laying an egg each every day for nearly a month now, with maybe three days where we were short a single egg out of that entire time. The eggs have progressively gotten large in to the 60-gram range now after only two months of laying. No soft-shelled or no-shell eggs at all. The pullets have grown much faster and fuller on the fermented feed, versus the ones I had started on just the crumbles. They are more active, seem happier and have more beautiful, glossy plumage. We use less feed, too. There have been absolutely no negatives to it.

Everyone on here is so nice! I really appreciate the feedback from you guys!

Hi Scott, I just started to read about the Deep Litter method yesterday but I'm not sure where I was reading it. It sounds appealing. Corn silage (sp?) was referenced but then I have concerns about where I would get that and if the corn has GMOs. Anymore it almost feels like no matter how much effort we put into avoiding all that junk, they're gonna get us anyway because we're being given poison everywhere we turn...how much effort is enough? sheesh.

I feel like I read someplace that when using crushed egg shells that you need to remove the lining (whatever that's called) from inside the shell before feeding it to the chickens. Do you do that?

I will look into the fermented feed since that's something I haven't read about yet.

Hopefully it'll all just start coming together once we have them. I feel like Angiebubs said, it's almost like expecting a baby, myself! LOL.

Oh, also I've heard that weeds are good to give to the chickens but not the "night-shades" ? What are those? (Gosh y'all, please forgive all the questions).

LOL Scott-true addict here as well! I also use the DL method the past couple years. However, I am thiking I need to work on my process. I have 24 chickens in a aprox 12 x 24 space and mostly cement floor underneath. So I think the next time I need to add a layer of dirt down first to get it going.

I used to have a business in California raising exotic birds...parrots were a lot more fragile and my trying to adjust to the differences has been an experience.

My thoughts (for what they are worth) on the weeds is: I think they would instinctly know which to eat and what not to if given a choice when free ranging? who knows.

Scott; How do you know when the fermented feed is doing what it is suppossed to and when its gone bad/spoiled? I had some barley that I tried soaking-was going to sprout-didnt seem like that was working so added some ACV to it-omg it smells bad and now scared to give it to the chickens.
I sprout sunflowers for the chickens several times a week and am ok with this-moving on to FF worries me.

Everyone on here is so nice! I really appreciate the feedback from you guys!

Hi Scott, I just started to read about the Deep Litter method yesterday but I'm not sure where I was reading it. It sounds appealing. Corn silage (sp?) was referenced but then I have concerns about where I would get that and if the corn has GMOs. Anymore it almost feels like no matter how much effort we put into avoiding all that junk, they're gonna get us anyway because we're being given poison everywhere we turn...how much effort is enough? sheesh.

I feel like I read someplace that when using crushed egg shells that you need to remove the lining (whatever that's called) from inside the shell before feeding it to the chickens. Do you do that?

I will look into the fermented feed since that's something I haven't read about yet.

Hopefully it'll all just start coming together once we have them. I feel like Angiebubs said, it's almost like expecting a baby, myself! LOL.

Oh, also I've heard that weeds are good to give to the chickens but not the "night-shades" ? What are those? (Gosh y'all, please forgive all the questions).

I would avoid the corn stuff. Personally, I'm trying to avoid corns altogether for both my family and I. I haven't been able to track down any, at all, that are not GMO. It appears that virtually every single one, unless you grow it yourself, comes that way now. It's just disgusting the way the process and change our foods. I try to be as holistic as possible. We drink raw milk, eat raw honey, avoid processed meats as much as possible and obviously gather our own eggs. Next up is raising some broilers for the meat.

I have not read anything about removing the lining. All I do once the eggs are used is throw them in a bucket in the kitchen. Over the next few days, the shells dry out and become brittle. The open top on the bucket allows ample air flow to prevent mold or bacteria growing. Once they are brittle, usually about once a week, I'll take a potato masher or metal spatula to the bucket and crush them up really good. Some throw it in a blender, but that's just too much work for me.

The best article for Fermented Feed I found was at the Natural Chicken Keeping website. There is some good information on there. If you have the time, read her Healing Story pages. It's truly heartbreaking, yet a miracle all the same. And yes, weeds are great to give them or just let them forage for them themselves. Do not get hung up on the "toxic plants" list that is floating around. Chickens will avoid the plants that are dangerous to them. Generally speaking, plants that are poisonous to an animal have a sour taste that causes them to avoid it, unless dying of starvation.

LOL Scott-true addict here as well! I also use the DL method the past couple years. However, I am thiking I need to work on my process. I have 24 chickens in a aprox 12 x 24 space and mostly cement floor underneath. So I think the next time I need to add a layer of dirt down first to get it going.

I used to have a business in California raising exotic birds...parrots were a lot more fragile and my trying to adjust to the differences has been an experience.

My thoughts (for what they are worth) on the weeds is: I think they would instinctly know which to eat and what not to if given a choice when free ranging? who knows.

Scott; How do you know when the fermented feed is doing what it is suppossed to and when its gone bad/spoiled? I had some barley that I tried soaking-was going to sprout-didnt seem like that was working so added some ACV to it-omg it smells bad and now scared to give it to the chickens.
I sprout sunflowers for the chickens several times a week and am ok with this-moving on to FF worries me.

Your thoughts are right on them avoiding the dangerous plants. I have oleander trees lining my entire property line and have never had a problem with the dogs or chickens that I've kept. They are one of the universally toxic plants. You can watch them pick and choose what they eat out of a pile of weeds.

Don't stress the fermented feed issues. Read through the article I mentioned above and hop on board the train. The three things to keep in mind is to make sure the water level is above the feed level at all times, it needs to be covered to keep out flies and insects, but it needs air flow to prevent mold and mildew from growing. There are a few methods for this, but an easy way is to put a cloth over it. Hit up Goodwill and get any old sheet, towel or pillow case that's 99c and the half-price color. It works great. You will be able to tell it's fermenting correctly because you will see and hear some bubbles when you stir the feed. Also, it'll have a semi-sweet smell to it, like a mild wine almost. If it curls your nose, there's something wrong.

I haven't done sprouting yet, but it sounded simple enough. I would not add AVC to that. It is incredibly acidic and I would think it would prevent the sprouting. Definitely throw it out if it smells bad.

Back
Top Bottom