Free range and turkey shelter ideas

BeyondBlessed

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
We are thinking of getting some turkeys from a local friend here in a few weeks. We live in rural Florida, and she said her turkeys never want to go in their coop at night, they choose to sleep in the trees.

We will be free ranging these turkey as a pest control option on our land. And am unsure of the shelter needed- if most do not prefer a coop. I like the idea of the hoop coop.... but how do you make them use it instead of staying in trees?

I have seen options on here where the sides are open, but it covered from above. And I just don't think that would work for when the rain and the wind come at the same time.

Do any of you free range and have your turkeys return to the coop every night? I would prefer that, as we have lots of options for predators around here.

Thanks so much!!

When I had a few I herded them in the hoop coops at night. Eventually it got to be too much when it was hot and humid. The first couple years that they roosted in the trees I didn't have any problems.... until the GH Owls found them. They even took out the oldest tom beginning of ast Dec .

We are thinking of getting some turkeys from a local friend here in a few weeks. We live in rural Florida, and she said her turkeys never want to go in their coop at night, they choose to sleep in the trees.

We will be free ranging these turkey as a pest control option on our land. And am unsure of the shelter needed- if most do not prefer a coop. I like the idea of the hoop coop.... but how do you make them use it instead of staying in trees?

I have seen options on here where the sides are open, but it covered from above. And I just don't think that would work for when the rain and the wind come at the same time.

Do any of you free range and have your turkeys return to the coop every night? I would prefer that, as we have lots of options for predators around here.

Thanks so much!!
What they will naturally use are roosts in a location protected from the prevailing wind. The wind here is normally from the southwest. My roosts are located on the east side of the coop.
20230217_064014.gif

They also need and will use shade.

I am in the process of building my turkey coop for six 3-week-old poults. My design incorporates the back side of my horse barn: 12 by 8 by 8. I have used pallets as half walls. As you can see from the pictures below, I have the side walls up, and am working now on the front, which will include a solid door (from a friend) unless it is not advised.

My question is about the top half: I was given peg board that would nicely fill in the tops almost to the roof, which will be netted. The coop will face north, with prevailing wind from the east (20 miles inland from the Atlantic) and the back wall (top half only) currently covered only with 4 inch rigid cattle fencing. South Carolina gets very hot and humid. Would I be better off with Hardware cloth (already purchased), or would that allow too much wind? Is the peg board not open enough for circulation in this heat? If I use the peg board, should I cover two 1/2 walls, three 1/2 walls, or perhaps only the one eastern wall? Should the horses, who have free range to come and go as they please, be visible to the turkeys or not?

The turkeys will be confined except for supervised walk-abouts until at least 8 weeks old, when I will get finished with the covered run. Eventually, I hope to let them free range by day and locked in at night. We also have predators.

Also, the coop will have "stadium seating" made with 4 - 5 inch trees cut from the property, with 12 foot long roosts at 6 ft and 3 ft high.

All plans are subject to identification of the tom(s) and hens. I do have another bay that I can enclose.

Thoughts? Advice? It is raining so I am not outside working, LOL!

Thanks for any and all comments!
-Kathy

712785311.jpg
712785329.jpg

Plan on at least 10 sq. ft. of clear floor space per adult turkey.

If using actual trees/branches for roosts, it is recommended that the bark be removed. It can be a very good hiding place for mites, lice and other small pests.

Thank you for the information about the trees. I did not consider that.

Six poults = 60 square feet of floor space, plus 36 square feet for food and water = my 96 square feet of space. So okay on that score - for now, anyway.

What about fully enclosed using peg board for top half vs half walls with hardware cloth?

I answered my own question re: the two horses - The turkeys will have that wall covered with plywood.

One more question: I have a resident eastern rat snake of good size, so the hardware cloth is 1/4 in and will cover all openings big and small. He lives in my haybarn and eats the mice. Is there anything else I need to do to keep him out of the coop? I can pour a cement floor if I need to, but did not think that would be the best for the turkeys. We have dry, sandy soil.

Thank you for any and all advise!

Thank you for the information about the trees. I did not consider that.

Six poults = 60 square feet of floor space, plus 36 square feet for food and water = my 96 square feet of space. So okay on that score - for now, anyway.

What about fully enclosed using peg board for top half vs half walls with hardware cloth?

I answered my own question re: the two horses - The turkeys will have that wall covered with plywood.

One more question: I have a resident eastern rat snake of good size, so the hardware cloth is 1/4 in and will cover all openings big and small. He lives in my haybarn and eats the mice. Is there anything else I need to do to keep him out of the coop? I can pour a cement floor if I need to, but did not think that would be the best for the turkeys. We have dry, sandy soil.

Thank you for any and all advise!
The problem with pegboard is that it is not weather or predator resistant.

Once they are adults, turkeys do very well keeping snakes away.

So no peg board, but should I make the side walls solid(using plywood) or can that be framed above the pallets and covered with just the hardware cloth?

So no peg board, but should I make the side walls solid(using plywood) or can that be framed above the pallets and covered with just the hardware cloth?
That's up to you. Here an open coop would not be an option yet my turkeys roost outside in all kinds of weather. This past winter they were out on their roosts when it was -40°F.

Your climate is mild enough that you can do an "open air" coop to help with the ventilation. You can go solid too as long as the coop is well ventilated.

One thing they must have is shade available when it is sunny. I have seen m y turkeys seek shade when the sun is shining and the temperature is -20°F.

Back
Top Bottom