Free Ranging and Unexpected Predators

KirBear

Chirping
Nov 20, 2019
Utah
In March of last year, we bought chickens for the first time. It was a new experience for everyone, but as the resident animal lover I was in charge. In total there were eight chickens, 5 Rhode Island reds and 2 silkies. They were relatively easy to take care of, the silkies were a bit sick when we first got them but after treating them for a week or so they were fine. The problems started coming once they were fully feathered and deemed old enough to start free ranging.
Within the first three weeks one of our silkies went missing, Fuzzie, and we couldn't find her anywhere. I felt awful, but she was relatively slow and had a harder time learning and getting into the coop. I figured a hawk or snake had gotten her, since she didn't tend to run from anything.
Flash forward a couple months later and nothing had happened. Then, my chicken Belle went missing. I was distraught, freaking out and trying to find her everywhere. No luck. We found feathers in the front yard and decided it must have been a hawk or eagle, because they are common where I live and she was way to big for a snake or a cat to get her. About a month after that, around December, we had sold our Rhode Island red rooster Apollo and kept our silkie rooster Cow, who wasn't as aggressive. We figured he would still help protect them. But then, he went missing. We didn't know where he could have gone, and didn't see any feathers. We closed up the coop as normal and hoped he would come back.
By now I was starting to think raccoons were getting our chickens, but after some research none of the signs of raccoons were there. Then, the next day, my mom told me that our chicken Hazel had been grabbed by our neighbors dog. She had ran after it and gotten her back, because he was a bird dog and dropped her when he got back to his house. Until this point I hadn't even thought of dogs. But the only dogs near us were usually in kennels. So, that night I went to close the coop at night and discovered two of our chickens missing, Tinker and Blue. That was the last straw. There were only two hens left, a silkie and a Rhode Island red, and I was mad. We could not figure out for the life of us what was taking our chickens. Just a reminder, 3 of our chickens had gone missing in a matter of days. So, we decided to keep the hens in the coop. We had felt bad doing it before because the store bought coop is pretty small, and didn't suit 8 or even just 5 chickens.
About a week later I was hiking around my backyard. We have a large stream back there, but they never went anywhere near it because it was loud. So, I cross the bridge and walk back to the city road behind our house. And I see feathers. Just, everywhere. Fluffy white silkie feathers, red feathers, just littering the ground. I was horrified. And I'm trying to think what in the world would bring all of our chickens back here to eat.
I looked around, next to the dirt road was a large field of goats and sheep, a house, and a kennel of dogs. Dogs that every time I come back here aggressively bark at me and are allowed out of their kennel. Their owners use them as sheepdogs. And so it clicks. These peoples dogs have been taking my chickens at night, around dusk after they herd the goats and sheep. I didn't confront the owners about it, as we had decided to sell our remaining hens to a nice lady in our neighborhood who had a better coop.
I just wanted to share my experience with free ranging, because although it has many benefits, it also has it's downsides. Consider the area you are located in, the pets that live in your neighborhood, and what local predators are lurking about, ready to snatch your chickens. Although this experience was a bit traumatizing, I luckily learned from it. We have a new group of chickens, some sweet little australorps and gold sex links, and guess what we put in? A fence. No dogs are grabbing anymore of our chickens on my watch.

Foxes and coyotes come to mind where you find feathers like you did. If you build it, they will come. They will continue to come as long as you have chickens.
Snakes are no danger to mature chickens.
A silkie rooster is no protection for a flock. One silkie breeder on BYC calls silkies 'Hawk Bites'.
Store bought coops can hold no where near the number of chickens they claim.
Don't free range silkies if you don't want to lose them. They aren't prepared for the number and variety of predators you have there.
I've lost chickens to raccoons, dogs, opossums, mink, hawks, etc..

Luckily we don't have many foxes where I live, and I've never seen or heard a coyote here either. I also thought it might be one of these but then I did some research and I think it must be the dogs. With the fence now put in no dogs or coyotes will be getting in unnoticed, and the trees covering the run should keep away hawks. I'm still a bit worried about raccoons and foxes, but if it is one of those and they get in I don't think they'll be able to get out with the chicken. At least then we'll know. We didn't buy any silkies this year because of how fragile they are, we decided they're not a good fit for the environment we live in.

You only need one fox. Not many.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I've had all those predators I've mentioned and you have them too. Plus you have bears, bobcats, mountain lions, wolves, etc..
You are not prepared. A fox can jump a 10' fence grab a chicken and jump back out. I'm in the suburbs of a large metropolitan area. Coyotes are less agile than foxes. In the last year, most of my bird losses were to coyotes. Most were in the middle of the day- and no howling.
Trees won't keep hawks away. They will perch in the tree waiting for dinner.

I understand all these predators are dangerous, and I expressed my worry about foxes and raccoons. I'm not worried about hawks because of the very low trees and the fact that they have their coop. Hawks have only been a problem for me in very open spaces where my chickens ranged. It's definitely not a bear, mountain lion or wolf. They are far too large and would not have been out in plain sight during the day, plus we do not have any wolves where I live. I have considered bobcats, but I think that's unlikely as well. I think it's most likely that the predator is a dog or coyote, in which case the fence should stop them. If my chickens start going missing I'll know it's most likely a fox. Thank you for the information on predators, I am still trying to figure everything out!

I realize this is an older thread. Many years ago a coyote went over a fence into a pen. Several of the birds and the coyote went back over the fence out of the pen. My fences are 5' high. It was able to kill some of the birds. As it was chasing the birds around and I went in and got my gun. Unfortunately it had bird shot in it. As the coyote chased a bird through the back yard I was able to get a shot off. I'm sure I hit it but didn't kill it but it ran off. I have seen a lot of coyotes among other predators on my cameras. I don't free range anymore due to losses from predators. I now have electric wires around my pens and coops, good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens and concrete under the gates. All due to losses from predators in the past. Here is a good link that will help protect birds from many ground predators when free ranging. It won't stop aerial predators.
There was a good website explaining about using electric wires for free ranging but when I pull up the site it goes to something entirely different.
http://www.plamondon.com/wp/faq-simple-electric-fences-chickens/
Electric wires are good and I have no losses with the electric wires.

Attachments

• plamondon.com.jpg
    plamondon.com.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom