Freedom Rangers

Mick - That is a very nice setup you have there indeed. Very similar to how I deal with my layers and meat birds. Once the meat birds get to the very poopy stage (maybe at 6 weeks) I let them out of the tractor during the day to roam inside the netting. I have three tractors total. Two require the John Deere to move, so those are reserved for the hens which move weekly. I have the third which I can pull by hand, so it's naturally my favorite even though it's not the most attractive.

At the corners where you have used t-posts, I just use a second "tread-in" fiberglass post and tie the two together with bailing twine. Also, where I live, it's very wet. The soil is wet and we get around 80-inches of rain per year. The battery chargers don't have enough 'ooomf' to power the netting (although they are fine for polywire). So, I have to connect the netting to the perimeter high tensile with alligator clips... or, honestly, once the birds have learned, I don't even have it on 100% of the time. Many of the Cornish hens fly out during the day and come back at dusk.

I wouldn't be able to do a complete free range because of my orchard (don't want it destroyed) and the neighbor factor as well as State Route 113 traffic not far from the orchard/yard/house/barn.
I am so hoping to get a decent set up like you have Mick and like I know Greyfields has!! Your experiance and nice set up are what I am shooting for!
Thanks Mick for posting those pics I can show them to hubby and he will have something to go by when building this thing in the Spring. I'll have the chicks both meat and egg in the basement for a week or two. The meat birds can go into the netting and the egg layers will have a coop in the barn but I am still wondering how to get the egg layers from their coop to an Electric net pen to range without having them go AWOL and have the worry of them getting eaten by peredators in the mean time.
To any who have read my posts in the past I'm a mom of 4 young boys. I just found out on the 20th (Merry Christmas to me) that we will have our Theresa (GIRL) in April!
smile.png
It'll be awesome setting up for the chickens and having her strapped on while I help hubby get the coop/ pen/ netting set up.
Happy Holidays, Peace, Joy, Blessings to all and thanks again Grey and Mick!! You two are the Bomb!!!!!!!!

Ann

Mick,

Are you by chance in Ohio? Are you the Mick that is getting Freedom Rangers from me in the Spring? Just curious same name and all..
smile.png
that is really cool small world if you are!
smile.png
LOVE THE SET UP!!!!

Happy Holidays,

Ann

Quote:

:DYes Ann, That would be me!
big_smile.png

Hey, one word of caution about the tractor-don't listen to the people who tell you the roof can be flat. Even though we only get 30-40 inches of rain per year, it usually comes in 2" increments. Unless your roofing material is very rigid it needs to be peaked. Even a gentle peak like this will work:
chickens026.jpg

The flat roof you saw in my earlier post has since been modified. I don't think I've got a photo though.
Hope that helps.
smile.png

Mick

Very nice pics Mick! I'm getting some rangers in the order from Ann too, but just 10. I have my egg layers in cages in the garage now until we can get a coop built. Want to build it in the garage with a little doorway we can open to lead out to the backyard with a setup similar to yours. I currently have 5 banty hens and one rooster. Once the ranger peeps are out of the brooder, can I put them all together or is it best to keep them separated?

Ann, I forgot to tell you - between 3 of the laying hens, I got a dozen eggs last week! My daughter is having fun going on "egg hunts"!!!! Also, Little Ralphie started crowing (barred rock roo) last week and is driving Mark absolutely insane. Hopefully the 15 hens we have at his place will start laying soon - almost 17 weeks!!! Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and happy New Year to all!

Last edited:
You need to seperate the egg layers from the meat birds because the meat birds don't need the calcium in the form or oyster shells, that the egg layers should be able to get when ever they want. The meat birds eat a growth food with high protine and the egg layers eat different food so to make sure each type eats the right food you should seperate them. On range I don't think it matters but when inside to eat or in the fencing they need seperated.
I'm still learning but from greyfields info. and all other info. I am learning that is where I am getting my info.
smile.png

Happy Holidays and hugs to all you chicken people
smile.png
Thanks Cindy, Mick, and Greyfields for all your help with the Freedom Ranger project.
smile.png

Ann

Quote:

Last edited:
You can keep the two together in the brooder since broiler starter/finisher is very similar to your generic "chick starter". The only issue is the meat chickens will very quickly double and triple the size of the hens in the brooder, so expect at least some suffocation/trampling deaths. If the weather is good, get your meat chickens out of the brooder and onto grass around 4 weeks of age (with supplemental heat lamp depending on the night temperature). You can then let the hens have the brooder and extra week or two to themselves to grow a bit more before heading out onto the pasture.

Don't worry about the food, either. The calcium issue isn't relevant, since only layer feed has the added calcium, which the pullets shouldn't even be on until they are 4-5 months old. I have also never heard of any meat chickens getting into oyster shell and causing death. If anything, it may help them a bit, since defficient phosphorus/calcium plays a role in the leg issues the jumbo cornish crosses have.

Happy New year to you all, as well. I think we have enough info here for 4-5 stickies.
lol.png

Greyfields,

Once again AWESOME info.!!
smile.png
Happy New Year! I hope this is a prosperous year for you!

Ann

Hi Ann--I just found this forum and thread. I am new to poultry--I started with 7 ducks last spring for eggs and it is going great.

I feel ready to try my hand at some pastured broilers and upon much research am looking for an alternative to the cornish x. I am in the Pittsburgh area and would love to discuss getting in on your order depending on the dates you choose. If I missed it for this year then perhaps for the future? It is always nice to make contact with fellow backyard poultry people in the area.

Wow do you have a lot going on with kids and a baby soon!

Hope to hear from you either on the forum or off.

Kelly Jones
Sewickley, PA

Back
Top Bottom