French frogs

@RubyNala97 yep, first turkeys... already have some of Walnuts cooking, this is the 2nd batch, lol...

That's great! Good luck on both batches! :fl

Sorry, very busy morning. 14 total, shut it down, washed it, and set 28 more yesterday. Collecting eggs to set again Friday or Saturday :D
The woman is coming to pick the chicks up tonight

Good job! Half of mine are gone. Other half will be shortly. Good luck on the new batch!

I just found this on Facebook. For those of you with cats!
:lau

:lau

:lau seriously!

I think she heads down there tomorrow.  She'll be working like crazy the whole time - hope she gets a minute to go outside and see the sun!

Anyone ever use little hair bands on chicks to mark them?  I just realized that I am hatching out  bunch of different chicks (hopefully) and have no idea what they look like - so I don't know how I'll tell them apart.  

3 weeks to figure something out.

Yes, I need something too, for the next batch. Will look for zip ties like WV said. My feed store sell chick bands....only one color, please tell me how that helps! You zip then cut once on the chick?

My feed store only sold a couple of colors, and they were huge for my little bantams, but then I saw the zip ties. Found a nice box of assorted colors and sizes first, it had like 5 colors. Then found small bags of more colors. I think 100 ties per bag was like $1.99. They will last me quite a while.

Just keep an eye on them, because their legs grow faster than I thought they would. I had to cut the square part once because I couldn't get under the band... Oops.

I also use an extra one of the same color when I take pics. I lay it by the chick, so I dont have to necessarily get the one on the leg in the pic.

Forgot to answer Ruby.. Yes, I just use one until it gets too small, cut it off, and replace with the same color.

Last edited:
I think she heads down there tomorrow. She'll be working like crazy the whole time - hope she gets a minute to go outside and see the sun!

Anyone ever use little hair bands on chicks to mark them? I just realized that I am hatching out bunch of different chicks (hopefully) and have no idea what they look like - so I don't know how I'll tell them apart.

3 weeks to figure something out.

I just bought a toe punch today. All the birds over all the years and I never needed to, either I tracked them from hatch to maturity or they were destined for meat or production layer and it didin't matter...but I now have turkeys I want to keep for their genetics, those will get marked, and chicks once I hatch some that will be purebred and identified as such.

I used tiny tie wraps last year. They were weak enough to snap off when outgrown for the safety of the birds, but of course it's rather a pain to have a bird lose its marking.

Once I have a decent breeding flock, I will probably use wing bands on the breeders. I don't want to use those on meaties, and toe punches are lost as soon as the feet are removed.

Hi Friday I see the night sift is still here did I miss anything .I did read some and know Dan is crying over something and Ruby is looking at butt jewelry for cats
hu.gif
. zip ties come in a color pack at most electric supply stores . standard colors . blue yellow red green white and black forget where I got mine had it for ever .

I've always found even the smallest zip ties to be too much for day olds, so I use loom bands for the first week or 2... I put a knot in the middle and expand it to go over the foot and tighten it just enough to stay on... gotta keep an eye on them though, but I did miss one once and it popped apart without damage... once they're a couple weeks, I switch to zip ties...

Someone somewhere talked about tiny colored hairbands you can get at the dollar store that can be used on chicks. I was thinking about wandering through there to see what I could find.

I'm not seriously breeding yet, but still would like to identify who's who in the batch. Last time I put a green sharpie dot on the top of one's head so I could track my stargazer for a while. That actually worked pretty well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom