French frogs

Help..
My sweet little Eve...I accidentally closed her little toe in the door of the cage last night. I thought everybody was clear. Til she squealed and to my horror I had her by the toe! Thought she was fine last night but this morning she was sitting mostly, turns out I apparently amputated her little toe!! I took her out and gave the foot a 5 minute warm Epsom salt soak then put antibiotics on it and the stuff to help stop pecking.
She's eating but her crop's not full at all. She's drinking too. She hasn't moved since I put her down for these pics. She's even still under the blanket.
I know this is nothing compared to the beloved birds you guys have been treating and trying to save but..she's 3 weeks old and acts like its gonna do her in. I have seen the others peck at it a couple of times but they're pretty much leaving her alone.....she's so special to me! She's the sweetest, friendliest,...and my favorite
1f49b.png
she does eat from my hand with encouragement.
Any advice is so appreciated, thanks frawgs
1f49b.png

That young it should heal fine without causing her issues... she might act like it's killing her, but it should pass soon... got any blue kote? I'd dab some on to stop the picking and put her back in with the others... if not, put a little divider up so they can still see her and not reach... hang in there, Eve!

Thanks Bert.  

Last time I lost most of the eggs, but those few that hatched did OK.  This time the ones that hatched late all had problems.  If my home eggs hadn't hatched well, I'd really think it was something I did.

There are people that have pretty good results with shipped eggs.  Just seems like I'm not one of them.

Do you think your altitude is the biggest issue with shipped eggs for you?

I'm so sorry you are having such troubles.

Help..
My sweet little Eve...I accidentally closed her little toe in the door of the cage last night. I thought everybody was clear. Til she squealed and to my horror I had her by the toe! Thought she was fine last night but this morning she was sitting mostly, turns out I apparently amputated her little toe!! I took her out and gave the foot a 5 minute warm Epsom salt soak then put antibiotics on it and the stuff to help stop pecking.
She's eating but her crop's not full at all. She's drinking too. She hasn't moved since I put her down for these pics. She's even still under the blanket.
I know this is nothing compared to the beloved birds you guys have been treating and trying to save but..she's 3 weeks old and acts like its gonna do her in. I have seen the others peck at it a couple of times but they're pretty much leaving her alone.....she's so special to me! She's the sweetest, friendliest,...and my favorite
1f49b.png
she does eat from my hand with encouragement.
Any advice is so appreciated, thanks frawgs
1f49b.png

I'm glad Ravyn commented because I had no idea what to say, except I'm sorry, I can tell you feel awful about it.

Did you see the pic of my chick Harriet? She's missing alot more toes than that and she does fine! Even roosts with no problem. So don't worry too much.
2764.png

I'm glad Ravyn commented because I had no idea what to say, except I'm sorry, I can tell you feel awful about it.

Did you see the pic of my chick Harriet? She's missing alot more toes than that and she does fine! Even roosts with no problem. So don't worry too much.
2764.png

Not really sure, but from what I've read shipped eggs going up in altitude often have a 10% hatch rate. This time I got just about that, last time 5/29 so 17% (But no issues on the survivors.) I'll go over my notes, but I'm not sure I'd do anything differently. Maybe have a higher humidity the first 3-4 days.

Next week I'll be hatching some shipped Barnevelder eggs for someone else and she knows the risks and my results. She's had similar results, and one 0/12 hatch. But since I'm 2,000 feet lower than she is, it's worth it for her to take the risk.

And X2 on Eve. Hope she is up and about soon!

That young it should heal fine without causing her issues... she might act like it's killing her, but it should pass soon... got any blue kote? I'd dab some on to stop the picking and put her back in with the others... if not, put a little divider up so they can still see her and not reach... hang in there, Eve!

I hope so! You literally helped me breathe a sigh of relief! Thanks Ravyn! I figured it was not gonna be a big deal but...she really acts like she's " on her last leg"! Even though she's eating and drinking.
Everyone here has huge things going on on their lives with loved ones, and Spice..poor Spice. Is she in Heaven now? I hate to ask. I know how much she meant to you.

Aww, sorry about Eve! :hugs    Hopefully she'll perk up & heal well.    :fl

Thanks Deb
1f49b.png

When it happened last night she stepped back and was standing on both legs, I just had no freakin idea I had chopped off her little toe! But maybe a rogue chick finished it off. Lol, not lol!

I hope so! You literally helped me breathe a sigh of relief! Thanks Ravyn! I figured it was not gonna be a big deal but...she really acts like she's " on her last leg"! Even though she's eating and drinking.
Everyone here has huge things going on on their lives with loved ones, and Spice..poor Spice. Is she in Heaven now? I hate to ask. I know how much she meant to you.
Thanks Deb
1f49b.png

When it happened last night she stepped back and was standing on both legs, I just had no freakin idea I had chopped off her little toe! But maybe a rogue chick finished it off. Lol, not lol!

Maybe now Oz won't feel so left out now that Eve's missing a digit.
wink.png

2764.png

What??! She's missing multiple toes? Oh my gosh.! I'll have to tell Eve to suck it up! She sure is acting like a little sponge though. I was telling her" now you have to be strong! You can't act all weak!
Your awesome
1f49b.png
thanks for caring!

Not really sure, but from what I've read shipped eggs going up in altitude often have a 10% hatch rate.  This time I got just about that, last time 5/29 so 17% (But no issues on the survivors.)  I'll go over my notes, but I'm not sure I'd do anything differently.  Maybe have a higher humidity the first 3-4 days.  

Next week I'll be hatching some shipped Barnevelder eggs for someone else and she knows the risks and my results. She's had similar results, and one 0/12 hatch.   But since I'm 2,000 feet lower than she is, it's worth it for her to take the risk. 

And X2 on Eve.  Hope she is up and about soon!

Thanks Friday!!! I know it's so minuscule! But I love her already!

Back
Top Bottom