French frogs

frow.gif
Good morning, Friday, Phil & Bert!

Guess I'd better head off to work, and get some stuff done before people start showing up.

My dad's moving container will be delivered and the tree guy is supposed to bring the crew back today.

PaperKid wants to raise next year's Thanksgiving dinner (told her it was too late for this year, and there'd need to be building done this summer to do any at any time, anyway...) What kind of space requirements are we talking about, here? Especially if I decide to keep a tom and jenny each year. I'm guessing a 4 foot tall chainlink fence as a free(er) range boundary is fairly laughable... Too bad none of you folks have midget whites--at least, not that I can remember.

Without a roof, you really don't stop a turkey. If you clip wings that only makes them land harder from wherever they jumped to.

Midget whites grow very small and very slowly. You'd have to hatch them out in February for Thanksgiving dinner and they'd still be small. Any of the heritage turkeys will reach market weight in 26-28 weeks and won't grow too large. While every individual turkey is different, I've found that they do vary in general.

If you want to raise your own breeders, I can send you some eggs from my smaller turkeys. While they'd end up a bit small for Thanksgiving, the extras would be great for Christmas. They'd be Narragansett base with gray, which can produce several nice colors. The hen is on the small side and so are her babies.

Oh I hate rats.  We had huge ones in SoCal and I had to build a Ft. Knox to keep the chickens in so the rats couldn't get to the food.  Spent $$ on hardware cloth for that build.  The field mice here are tiny and don't bother me too much.

:lau

You had ROUSes

I only feed them a little because they reproduce so Flippin quickly. I hope a couple Tom's will go looking for greener pastures (I sneak my favorites more food)

My biggest concern is some let the girls play with them, so I go out once a month and put Frontline on as many as I can while they eat.

Many spay/neuter programs offer free (or greatly reduced) services for ferals -- even just getting a few of them done will help keep the numbers under control.

Not local, and catching the dang things is brutal. The number generally stay under control because predation is just too high. But we do have a couple mean Tom's that probably need to be taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom