Friend's dog....How to keep a friend

annep

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
My friend came for thanksgiving, and she brought her dog with her..Some sort of hyper cattle dog..They have no chickens, but know we do..We kept her on a chain the whole time she was here, and she would cry because she could not get our chickens..They free range our back yard. With her being chained, they had plenty of room to do their thing...A couple of times, one of her kids would want to take her off the chain, and I told them they couldn't because their mama didnt want to pay $15 per chicken that her dog killed...It kept her on the chain!
A couple of years ago, she came visiting, and her children, being quite wild back then, did something, not sure what, but one of my hens died the next day...They had been holding her, and must have been very rough...She knew, and I knew it was her child's fault...Now, they are older, and behave much better...
To me, that's how to keep a friendship..Honesty!

Me, I would not welcome anyone's dogs during a visit. If I knew a friends kid had something to do with the death of one of my animals they would need to do something sincere(besides the basic apology) before I let them visit again. Also, I would not allow them around the animals at all.

I am glad to read have not had anymore issues with your friend and her kids,and have found a way to work with them that satifies you.

I think you handled the situation very well. I keep my chickens in their run when we have visiting family that bring their dogs. When everyone is here at Christmas, we have 3 or 4 extra dogs, all retriever breeds. I just keep my chickens in their run until everyone goes home. It's the least stressful solution for us. In the situation of the kid or kids possibly killing the hen, I don't know what I would have done. Probably not said anything since it didn't die until the next day, and it *could have* been due to something else. For me, relationships with friends and family are far more precious than a chicken.

While I don't necessarily agree, I am glad that you have found a solution that works for you. I hope that it continues to do so.
smile.png

Pen the chickens up while you have guests with dogs and kids. It doesn't really make you feel any better to be in the right yet have a dead chicken. They should control their own dogs and kids, but people rarely do. So you protect your birds.

Did the friend even ask if she could bring her dog? If not that is truly rude. If so then everyone should have known the rules and the kids should not have needed to be told not to let the dog off the chain.

I just don't get people that think that an invitation extended to them is one that includes their dogs. I wouldn't dream of bringing my dogs along without asking if it would be ok to do so first.

I knew she'd bring the dog, that's why I had the chain out and ready..My back yard is plenty big enough for the chickens to feel secure, with her off to the side. The children did fine, once we explained things to them...It worked out quite well...She would take her dog for a walk out front to get her energy out...

Quote:
lol.png
lol.png
Now at my house (and everyone knows) you can bring your dogs just leave your children at home. When I have visiting dogs it is no different then when I get a foster dog. I take them out to the chicken area and teach them to leave my girls alone. They are in a secured area. And when the dogs are loose running around in the yard my Sheperd will correct other dogs for paying to much attention to HER chickens.
I also train dogs, so my friends don't mind when I take their dog outside to teach it to behave at my home. So, needless to say my behavior is not the norm for us chicken owners.
I also take the time do teach the few children that come here, how to act around my house not just my animals. I do NOT have a child proof home.
I know when my girls see a new dog or person in the yard they run up to their coop area and stay away. They get "stranger danger" real well. When every one is gone........ back out they come to enjoy themselves.

Back
Top Bottom