Friendship Bread

CluckyCharms

Songster
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Missouri, but Montana in my dreams
My Coop
My Coop
I was wondering if anyone here at BYC would be interested in participating in a "by mail" version of Friendship Bread? =) I used to do these chains all the time with my mother and her friends when I was growing up. Then, when I became older I started doing them with my friends, etc. However, I've never done a Friendship Bread chain online so I was wondering if anyone else would want to participate? :) This isn't the original Amish recipe, this is using their recipe but it has variations to it, so it's a bit different. It's a sweet bread though, similar to zucchini or banana nut bread...a quick bread.

Thanks for any replies! IF I don't get any interest I'll continue to do it amongst town friends and neighbors but I figured I'd give the internet a try since it's such a fun experience (to me it is anyway).

To those who don't know, you're basically sending someone something that you have *not* baked, just stirred. This is called the starter, and it's a batter you'd be receiving. Depending on where you are in the chain you could get pretty fresh batter, or you could be getting old batter, but it's all safe to consume (I find that being later on the list always makes the best bread, but I'm not sure why..probably because of all the ingredients having time to ferment). These chains can actually go on forever, and ever....and ever..using the same initial starter that Person A made that has just been "freshened up" over time by others...very interesting the way it works.

Please post here if you're interested so I can get some idea of who is game for something like this, and we can get the details down in private messages. :)

Last edited:
I was just thinking hte other day that I miss doing the Friendship Bread with my pals back in WI.
It has been over 5 years since I have done this. I have done a couple of different kinds.
Is this the batter with the pudding in it?

I was just thinking hte other day that I miss doing the Friendship Bread with my pals back in WI.
It has been over 5 years since I have done this. I have done a couple of different kinds.
Is this the batter with the pudding in it?

The one I was thinking about using is the one with the pudding in it, yes. Did you have a suggestion on one that is better than that? The only kinds I've had (we used the same one most of the time, lol) are the original Amish Friendship Bread that we got from the Amish several years ago and I no longer have that recipe, and then this one, with the pudding in it. But...I'd definitely be interested in another recipe if it's as good as that one. =D

The other one is alot closer to a true sourdough than this one is. They are both good, and I use both the same way in the same recipes.
I don't know if I have the starter recipe for the other one anymore anyway.

I would do this. I made a batch and loved it, keeps all 4 starters from that batch for an upcoming bake sale, but now will have 16 new baby starters form those starters, so I will love to get rid of some of them!

I haven't done friendship bread in many years. I don't have the time to do it through the mail. Can someone please post some good recepies so i can start it around my area. Please

Back
Top Bottom