Frikkie's Miracle Survival and Recovery [includes graphic images]

I don't think I would ever get over that!
Not sure about the loose skin/scab...maybe @Wyorp Rock has some insight,
or knows who else to tag?
For me, I would leave the loose skin/scab alone and let it fall off on it's own.

I think he is healing well and improving. Wounds/damage that extensive will take time but you are doing such a wonderful job. The photos are very good and I very much appreciate your detailed account.

I left the skin/scab on and just continued to apply ointment. About 16 hours ago (17 days since the day Frikkie was attacked) the skin/scab came off accept for one small area, but the loose skin was dangling by his foot so I cut it off, about 1 cm from where it was still attached. The scab that was over the wound close to his vent also came off, but I neglected to take a picture of what the wound looks like now, it is healing very well.

I am attaching a couple of pictures please let me know should you see anything of concern that I should pay attention to.

20190217_145147.jpg

BYC 20190218_093442 (2).jpg

20190217_145325.jpg
20190217_150044.jpg

These picture I took just now.
20190218_093620.jpg

20190218_093155.jpg

Just as a side note, while Frikkie is healing we are working hard to build them a tractor.

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-17 at 23.50.21.jpeg

I left the skin/scab on and just continued to apply ointment. About 16 hours ago (17 days since the day Frikkie was attacked) the skin/scab came off accept for one small area, but the loose skin was dangling by his foot so I cut it off, about 1 cm from where it was still attached. The scab that was over the wound close to his vent also came off, but I neglected to take a picture of what the wound looks like now, it is healing very well.

I am attaching a couple of pictures please let me know should you see anything of concern that I should pay attention to.

View attachment 1677154

View attachment 1677156

View attachment 1677161 View attachment 1677158
View attachment 1677160
View attachment 1677165

Just as a side note, while Frikkie is healing we are working hard to build them a tractor.

View attachment 1677167
Frikkies recovery is truly remarkable. It's amazing that chickens can recover from some fairly horrific injuries. It's testament to your hard work and dedication that he is doing so well. Frikkie is lucky to have you caring for him. I think the key is just keeping the wound clean and making sure he eats and drinks well. Some probiotics and/or some extra vitamins and minerals may be good to help boost him a little. His little body must be in healing overdrive! The tractor is looking great and I'm sure they'll be happy to be allowed back out!

View attachment 1677154

View attachment 1677156

View attachment 1677161 View attachment 1677158
View attachment 1677160
View attachment 1677165

View attachment 1677167
I think he's looking good and making progress! You have done such a wonderful job taking care of him.

The tractor looks great!:)

Fly strike is horrible. When maggots cannot find enough decaying tissue they will attack healthy tissue. They can also migrate through the body to reach the brain. Hydrogen peroxide can drive them out, if you are still finding any.

Hope Frikkie has the best possible outcome:hugs

Frikkie is doing very well and gets very upset when I remove him from the tractor to take him inside where he has been sleeping up to date. 2 Days back my husband convinced me that Frikkie is strong and the weather is still warm so Frikkie will be fine sleeping outside in the tractor, and so Frikkie slept in the tractor the past 2 nights and he is happily crowing in the mornings!

@drumstick diva , luckily no more maggots!! I will remember hydrogen peroxide should I ever experience fly strike again, thank you.

Still outstanding for the tractor is a water system, I am still investigating the possible options and DIY ideas. Any recommendations are welcome :D

We completed the interior of the tractor 2 days ago:
20190223_214815.jpg

- 40" PVC self feeder with screw top on the outside of the roof
20190223_214719.jpg 20190223_215025.jpg 20190223_215259.jpg
- 1 x 2.3" Roosting bar 45" in length
- 1 x 2.7" Roosting bar 45" in length
20190223_214858.jpg

- 1 x Nesting box
20190223_214840.jpg

Frikkie is doing very well and gets very upset when I remove him from the tractor to take him inside where he has been sleeping up to date. 2 Days back my husband convinced me that Frikkie is strong and the weather is still warm so Frikkie will be fine sleeping outside in the tractor, and so Frikkie slept in the tractor the past 2 nights and he is happily crowing in the mornings!

@drumstick diva , luckily no more maggots!! I will remember hydrogen peroxide should I ever experience fly strike again, thank you.

Still outstanding for the tractor is a water system, I am still investigating the possible options and DIY ideas. Any recommendations are welcome :D

We completed the interior of the tractor 2 days ago:
View attachment 1683825
- 40" PVC self feeder with screw top on the outside of the roof
View attachment 1683824 View attachment 1683829 View attachment 1683831
- 1 x 2.3" Roosting bar 45" in length
- 1 x 2.7" Roosting bar 45" in length
View attachment 1683828
- 1 x Nesting box
View attachment 1683826
Looks great! I'm happy frikkie is out and happily crowing for you! He definately on the mend.
For the water drinking system I'd personally just use the plastic drinkers. The type you turn upside down, fill, then turn the right way up. I'd keep with the plastic ones though and not the metal ones. The reason being that you can't put anything other than fresh water in a metal one. You can use the plastic ones if you want to add acv or medications and you can see how much they're drinking and they are easy to clean and cheap to replace if needs be.
You can also make a system with nipple drinkers and an outside water storage container. To me it seems overcomplicated and could be a chore to clean.

Back
Top Bottom