Frisky Bantam Rooster - finding the perfect mate??

coop's chicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 25, 2009
Southeastern Ontario
I've only had chickens (and one Japanese Blacktail rooster) for about a month. My rooster is only about six months old and has started trying to "mate" with every other chicken in the hen house. I have 8 hens and 5 of them are WAY bigger than him. I've only seen him mount the big hens. Is it possible for him to mate with them...he's pretty small, but he's trying hard!?!

We have a rooster that is a banty, all the girls are standard size. He is trying to mount but hasn't really gotten the hang of it. We now call him cowboy because he rides them and then the hens buck him off. It is funny to watch, but this am he was able to connect with our EE. I think he will figure it out with a little more practice. Other than that he is a great rooster.

my bantam cochin has been trying the same thing since he's been in with my girls since the beginning of November. 5 are standards and 10 are bantams. he's been fascinated with a houdan/polish cross that is sort of in between the 2 sizes. it finally got her to lay an egg for me though!

i can't wait to see him try to get to the light brahmas! my EE doesn't let him near her. and my full houdan just seems to hear him coming and runs! if he can get to everyone in a day i think he is happy and tuckered out from trying!

maybe it's those long legs he likes!

Back
Top Bottom