frozen feet? please help

Polish are not known to be a cold weather bird. You may be better off with cold hardy breeds

I , personally, would not be able to sleep at night knowing one of my chickens was getting frozen feet, and there was a possibility of the toes falling off.

I have a two month old polish on my lap right now....thawing her feet. I found her in the coop this afternoon not moving. When I picked her up I found her feet frozen...unbending. Wrapped her in a reel and have her thawing on my lap. After about twenty minutes her toes started bending. I will keep her inside in a crate until thus cold spell breaks.

Good luck...let us know how your hen does.

I'm sorry for your hen. I hope all works out for her.

don't really know how many posts i have read so far this winter on frost bit feet. I come from northern michigan where our family raised chickens all seasons. frost bit feet on a chicken in our family farm ment a chicken dinner!!!!!!

and all the posts i have read on culling chickens..... what works for me is a double bit axe and a chopping block. so to make a long story short frost bit feet equal a fresh chicken dinner.

if this offends anyone oh well.. Just the way I was raised. Cull the sick and get a dinner out of it.

don't really know how many posts i have read so far this winter on frost bit feet. I come from northern michigan where our family raised chickens all seasons. frost bit feet on a chicken in our family farm ment a chicken dinner!!!!!!

and all the posts i have read on culling chickens..... what works for me is a double bit axe and a chopping block. so to make a long story short frost bit feet equal a fresh chicken dinner.

if this offends anyone oh well.. Just the way I was raised. Cull the sick and get a dinner out of it.
Some of us view our chickens as pets. I would not cull and eat my dog/cat if they had frostbite,so why would i eat my chicken. frostbite is treatable and a chicken can live just fine with one leg/foot.

X2. I view my flock as pets therefore they are part of my family, litterly. .I know some of you might not understand this as some view their birds as only livestock. I've always been a huge animal lover and I believe each animal chickens included have individual personality. They feel fear pain love and attachments the same as we do and they look to us to protect and love them. My chickens lay on my stomach and sleep, come when I call them, purr When they are happy. I have a chicken that if i lay on my side she will lay on her side and stretch out to be petted. They trust me 100% and we have a special bond. So yes I would do whatever I could in my power to help my birds.so culling for frostbite for me would be out of the question as well. Also I won't be eating my pets ever! I understand different people have different relationships with their animals but I must agree with above post and say I would not cull either if they had one foot.

Well Said Realsis,my birds also love to be held/cuddled/hugged(this includes my roosters)and like nothing better than to snuggle on me and fall asleep. They all trust me to feed/protect/love and care for them when ill/injured.

They are so much more than "just chickens"i find they have an almost magical quality to them and the innocence of a child. Who can resist there wide eyed innocent look,or there chicken language when they speak to us,truly amazing creatures. There childlike innocence and faith in us to protect them no matter what,is what i find so endearing.They are a combination of being incredibly resilient,but at the same time incredibly fragile.

They are a wonder and a gift from nature,not always here long,but while in our lives bring so much joy and love. They are temporary angels on earth. Those of us who truly understand and appreciate these remarkable creatures,are rewarded with their companionship and love.

So,for those who think they are just chickens,think again for they are so much more.

Some of us view our chickens as pets. I would not cull and eat my dog/cat if they had frostbite,so why would i eat my chicken. frostbite is treatable and a chicken can live just fine with one leg/foot.

Well, I have eaten cat and dog in my travels in the Navy. But you do eat the eggs that your pet chickens provide you???? well, I don't eat the puppies my dog has, but in a survival pinch the dog would become food.

I am raising chickens as a self sustaining and renewable food source, as they shall remain as such on my little homestead.

Well, I have eaten cat and dog in my travels in the Navy. But you do eat the eggs that your pet chickens provide you???? well, I don't eat the puppies my dog has, but in a survival pinch the dog would become food.

I am raising chickens as a self sustaining and renewable food source, as they shall remain as such on my little homestead.
Seriously,are really comparing puppies to eggs??? If so,may i suggest another "birds and the bees" talk,and a good book explaining just how baby chicks are made, b/c when you eat eggs,you are not eating baby chicks!

I have no issues with people using chickens for food,provided they are well cared for. What i took exception to was your flippant comments regarding culling,when clearly the op was looking for advice on helping/saving bird,not suggestions of death.

No,even in survival mode,i would not eat my pets,but that is just me.

Well Said Realsis,my birds also love to be held/cuddled/hugged(this includes my roosters)and like nothing better than to snuggle on me and fall asleep. They all trust me to feed/protect/love and care for them when ill/injured.

They are so much more than "just chickens"i find they have an almost magical quality to them and the innocence of a child. Who can resist there wide eyed innocent look,or there chicken language when they speak to us,truly amazing creatures. There childlike innocence and faith in us to protect them no matter what,is what i find so endearing.They are a combination of being incredibly resilient,but at the same time incredibly fragile.

They are a wonder and a gift from nature,not always here long,but while in our lives bring so much joy and love. They are temporary angels on earth. Those of us who truly understand and appreciate these remarkable creatures,are rewarded with their companionship and love.

So,for those who think they are just chickens,think again for they are so much more.
I just love your big heart! I feel the same way.

I don't think it should offend anyone. Your chickens probably have a nice life before they become dinner. I can't eat them but I respect those who do.

Back
Top Bottom