frozen feet? please help

I didn't bring her in. It seems like the tips of her toes can bend and move. I am waiting for the rest of her foot to do the same

Update on my Roo.
He is acting like his feet don't bother him, even though he hobbles around. The toes are really dead and don't move or curl at all.
His brother and he are both together and they seem to really like that.
- I know I should euthanize but will wait to see what happens to the toes.(if they fall off).
This would be my first time to euthanize a chicken. I read the 50 page post about how to do it. Clear as mud.

Last edited:
okay my bantam rooster did this earlyer this winter so you want to get her in a warm box and if she will hold still i would set her down in a box with her feet in a towl to thaw them and give her food and water. the sad thing is that she may loose toes or her hole foot to frost bite. i hope shes lucky and doesnt loose any thing

I would keep all the chickens in the coop until the cold passes - I take it that it is colder than normal. If you can warm up the coop alittle it might help. You dont want it too warm but just enough to thaw the feet. She should stay in the coop until the snow is gone if you can - mine stayed in on her own. Let nature take its course - it isn't pretty! You will know if you need to put her down but give her a chance. Her toes most likely will turn black and fall off but don't get too excited over it. If she can't stand, put her down.

Last year I had one who froze her feet, she is doing well this year. She had a strange accident on our first below 0 day. She spent the winter in the coop and in the spring part of her toes fell off. All has been well since. She raised our first chicks this past fall and did a very good job of it in the cold.
my roosters feet froze:( so is there a chance the feet will just dry up and NOT fall off ?? I NEED HELP! the rooster is VERY tough but he still needs ALLOT of treatment!! so can anyone please give me any advise on this:(?

my roosters feet froze:( so is there a chance the feet will just dry up and NOT fall off ?? I NEED HELP! the rooster is VERY tough but he still needs ALLOT of treatment!! so can anyone please give me any advise on this:(?

I'm sorry you for your rooster. It all depends on how bad it is. I have a chicken that froze her toes and they fell off at the first joint. She is doing just fine now.

Where does the black start on your rooster's feet or leg?

BTW, :welcome

How long have the roosters feet been froze? The time without circulation can make a difference too. You'll need to get him in right away and thaw them with cold water and then gradually warming it up. Then keeping them clean if they open up or ooze. You probably won't see that right away. But if they do that's a good sign. If they turn black they are likely a loss. I too have a Rooster that is still healing and may have a portion of his toe that is a loss. Still healing yet as near as I can tell.

Last edited:
How long have the roosters feet been froze? The time without circulation can make a difference too. You'll need to get him in right away and thaw them with cold water and then gradually warming it up. Then keeping them clean if they open up or ooze. You probably won't see that right away. But if they do that's a good sign. If they turn black they are likely a loss. I too have a Rooster that is still healing and may have a portion of his toe that is a loss. Still healing yet as near as I can tell.

okay here's the deal the rooster never reacted to the feet but i think it was about 3-4 weeks ago when the feet froze.one foot is all black and the other foot over half of his toes are black... what I've been doing is: soaking the feet in peroxide and rapping the feet in paper towel to keep it clean

Back
Top Bottom