frozen feet? please help

Yes I am trying to deal with that prospect. His brother is very bonded to him that is the only reason I am hesitant. They really stick together - his brother even protects him from the others. He still is able to get around somehow...I just wanted to post pix to the forum for educational purposes. Some will never have to deal with this hopefully.

That is much more severe than I ever tangled with. My suggestion is to euthanize. When toes fall of, it will not be able walk. Otherwise prothetics required for bird to walk.
Only euthanize if the birds toes actually fall off, we wouldn't want to put a pet to waste would we.

I also have a rooster that got frozen feet - We had severe weather (-10) about 2 weeks ago and they were frozen solid and swollen to 3 x their normal size. I brought him inside to warm up and then put his brother with him. Since that time, his toes are all black and basically dead. They don't move and look like dried up leather.

After being inside for awhile, I put the two brothers out in the barn but with access to a large dog crate with a heat pad, water and food. They can go in and out but are away from the general population - so they don't get picked on.

The roo with the bad feet is able to hobble, but that is about it. I was going to put him down, but he doesnt seem to be in pain, and more than that - his brother is very bonded to him, and stays by his side. He even protects him if other chickens come around and try to get funny with them. So now I feel like I have to keep them both together as they are so bonded. I won't put him down unless it is apparent that he can't feed himself or if his brother can't or won't protect him. I will attempt to put him back with the others in the coop when the weather gets a bit better.

This happened inside the coop which has a heat lamp but I think he didn't roost in the right area - instead of up above he stayed down on the cold floor. Since that time, I have made sure to put a thick layer of wood chips for those that don't go up to roost.
I noticed one of my hens also has one black foot - but she seems to be doing okay with just the one bad one.

I will post pictures tomorrow as soon as my camera battery gets charged up again.

I am curious if anyone has had experience with what happens after the toes fall off - how on earth will they walk on "stumps"?

Also, if anyone else has to bring one chicken inside (with frozen feet or whatever) I would bring a mate in with them, if they have one as this will help them stay happy and also help when reintroducing them back to the flock.

Very good post!

All four toes in their entirety will be lost on both feet. Case is extreme. I would have antibiotics at ready since infection like with gangrene in one or both limbs may spread up to heel which is what you can see meets the drumstick.

All four toes in their entirety will be lost on both feet.  Case is extreme.  I would have antibiotics at ready since infection like with gangrene in one or both limbs may spread up to heel which is what you can see meets the drumstick.

Somehow I missed that picture of the black feet. Outlook for this bird is grim, IMHO. I have seen a few with missing toes on two feet, but never one with just two stumps. I'm just guessing, but wouldn't a bird walking around on stumps end up with soars at the end of the stumps?

Somehow I missed that picture of the black feet. Outlook for this bird is grim, IMHO. I have seen a few with missing toes on two feet, but never one with just two stumps. I'm just guessing, but wouldn't a bird walking around on stumps end up with soars at the end of the stumps?

Yes, and scratching for eats will be difficult at best. Bird would not be able to roost properly either.

mulelover: How is your girl's toes. did you bring her in and let them warm up? Circulation and blood flow are critical if this is not to be a total loss.

gina4animals: can he move any of those toes on his own? Splay, curl or bend them around your finger? If they're not functioning they probably will necrotize off completely and pose a threat for bigger infection problems. Do what you will, but there's alot of doctoring and prosthetics in his future, perhaps or euthanization.

Back
Top Bottom