Frozen pond — Dead duck

Your duck may have died from cold shock: closing down peripheral blood vessels for example in the feet displaces blood. if the duck was old and her heart unable to cope with extra blood volume in the main blood vessels, she may have died of heart failure. This is just my theory based on human physiology not a known condition in ducks.

Your duck may have died from cold shock: closing down peripheral blood vessels for example in the feet displaces blood. if the duck was old and her heart unable to cope with extra blood volume in the main blood vessels, she may have died of heart failure. This is just my theory based on human physiology not a known condition in ducks.
Heart failure wouldn't surprise me, he's been on the farm for a while. Possibly 5+ years. :( Though it all confuses me, his brother had no problem and was right next to the dead body drinking the water..

I am very sorry for the loss of your duck.

Sometimes, you just don't get to know what happened.

Last winter, two of my original runner ducks simply dropped dead within 24 hours of each other. It was brutally cold, but the remaining ducks were fine. Quinn and Skylar looked as though they just fell asleep outside. They hadn't acted any differently than the rest and, to the best of my knowledge, weren't exposed to anything the others weren't.

It sounds like the rest of your flock is okay. Best wishes for you and them.

Back
Top Bottom