FYI: over the counter antibiotics prohibited w/o prescription after 06/23

azygous

Addict
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
This should answer many of our questions as to what meds we won't be able to get after 06/23 without a vet's prescription: https://nwdistrict.ifas.ufl.edu/pha...otics-will-require-prescription-in-june-2023/

About the only ones we use for backyard chickens are injectible penicillin and Tylan 50, maybe some sulfas. It will require a prescription to buy those come June.

I have inquired at two of my online pharmacies about whether this federal law will impact the variety of fish antibiotics we have been able to get without prescription. One has replied. KVSupply said that they know of no reason why OTC fish antibiotics such as fish mox and fish cillin should be affected by this law, although circumstances may change.

Since Tylan 50 is one of the most often used antibiotics for CRD, the respiratory infection commonly affecting many flocks, it might be wise to replenish your supply before June. Be aware, though, hoarding these meds won't be practical as their effectiveness decreases over the shelf life.

Sorry to hear that. It is already the case in Canada, and it is painful to know something could help, but I can't afford a vet or find one to take a chicken or duck patient.

We have no easy access to a fecal test either, that requires the animal to be physically seen by the vet, so if you have a flock and find a suspect stool, you can't just scoop it up and test it, you have to figure out who produced it, and bring them in for a full consultation.

That is crazy complicated and has been the death of too many birds for no reason.

With avian flu epidemics, is it necessary to bring a chicken to a vet (whose work brings them in contact with the virus) and then bring them back to the flock to see which worm she has gobbled up? You risk the whole flock just to get an answer that could be had with a simple test that is identical to a dog/cat test.

(Sorry for the rant, I went through an issue that resulted in an unnecessary death because I couldn't get some simple tests to rule out some potential issues. My grief is clearly not done yet, and now it is spilling out on my keyboard.)

Very sorry you are now in my boat instead of me in yours.

There's no doubt whatsoever that we will see unnecessary deaths due to this overzealous government action.

It was meant mainly to target corporate food producers that relied on antibiotics rather than sanitation and hygiene to manage bacterial infection among thousands of chickens and other meat animals. It's unfortunate that medium size family farm operations and tiny backyard flock owners, who mostly are very conscientious about antibiotic use as well as caring for their animals are penalized for the behavior of the giant corporate meat industry.

I dread the consequences.

It was meant mainly to target corporate food producers that relied on antibiotics rather than sanitation and hygiene to manage bacterial infection among thousands of chickens
That has never made sense to me, since it's specifically the mega-farms that can and will pay a veterinarian to mass-prescribe antibiotics instead of improving sanitation and hygiene. Seems like it's only smaller ranchers/backyard flock keepers that are financially harmed.

Pretty much! Instead of the Communist bread lines in the USSR, we will be standing in lines for our allotment of TP! I am probably dating myself with that analogy.
LOL. It was like that when Covid first started, remember? The stores were empty of TP and when they got some in stock, it was limited to how much we could purchase or wait in line for one roll.
It'll be like that soon enough, not just TP, plain as day.

Back
Top Bottom