GAME ROOSTERS.. a question...

Is this still alive? Anyways the best way to deal with Game Cocks, keeping them safe that is on the barrels, is to have a electric fence, if you can afford it, around the whole walk yard and a good LGD Dog. I can NOT stress the importance enough of a GOOD live stock guardian dog. If your willing to take losses then dont get a dog, If your not then a dog with a fence would be your best bet. Also one of them niteguard flashing lights. Makes the coyotes and whatever else that stalk for food at night think they are being watched so therefore they leave the area.

I like the site! I was raised with Game Chickens. We always had well over a hundred running free on the farm. Most, not all, of the Roosters were kept seperated. We built round pens - from Chicken wire mostly! The Roosters would try to fight each other through the wire. My Grandfathers game birds were from a very old line out of SC. He said his Hatches, Whitehackles and Kelsos were from his Grandfather's line which was from his Grandfather's line. Now we're back into late 1700's! Once I decided I wanted to raise some of this line of game birds - it was too late. After my Grandfather passed away in 1989 most of the chickens disappeared - given away or stolen, who knows!! Anyway, I raise a few White and Brown Leghorns! Mostly for fun and eggs. My family enjoys them as much as I do. NOW, I'm on the hunt to find someone who may have some game birds from my Grandfathers line of Gamecocks!

I have a neighbor down the road that rescues game cocks. They are all tethered to barrels. He then has electric fencing surrounding the area they are in the first strand is only a couple inches off the ground, the tallest around 4ft. He also has pygmy goats running around inside the fence too.

oops, just saw how old this is...

Last edited:
I have a lot of game roosters but don't know the breed of some of them can some one help me out

Just thpught I wpuld add that just becuase someone keeps gamebirds DOES NOT mean they are fighting them.....

Very true. My brother kept them for years simply to breed and because he enjoyed them. This has gotten me thinking that the one rooster that I get to keep, should potentially be a game bird. They're often so well behaved with people. Any thoughts on using them for a backyard roo? Can you show them at 4H, ect? My son is 12 and I'd like to get a rooster that he could show, to help get him more involved in chickens and to spend time together.

Back
Top Bottom