Garbage Can Shed Conversion Ludicrous or Plausible?

BleuSaphir

Crowing
11 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Santa Clarita, CA
I am wanting to quit working for Post Office and go back being a full time realtor soon. And some point I want to move out of my parent home. I want to be closer to my broker office. And of course I want to have chickens of my own! I’m looking in two years perhaps to make this move a reality.

My choice is Santa Clarita. Doesn’t require much commute. But many homes I liked the most are HOA neighborhoods. I also notice from online most of these these homes do have NOT much yard space. Some barely can fit a trampoline! Some homes do have some nice yard space but hard to come by. It not a affordable city to live in unfortunately either. My other choices are down in Los Angleles; West Hills, Chatsworth, Porter Ranch. Or even Sun Valley area where it seem more chicken friendly if most properties have horses.

Even before committing to buy in a HOA neighborhood, I would ask my intentions to the association if I can have approval of least to have 2 chickens.

If a house I picked set in suburbs with HOA in place with approval of what I want, I definitely would have to spend extra more to make it nicer to appease such association committees. And my neighbors.

I looked at these two. One is a garbage can shed. The other one is a small storage shed. I wonder if converting the garbage can shed into a chicken coop seems ludicrous? Lol
My concerns about the product, how to keep the top dual doors locked proof from raccoons. I think it be easy for me to cut out most of the divider wall to allow more space to be freely. It looks somewhat easy to make ventilation access points to allow air to flow. Their is room for a nest box and roosting. They definitely have a run attach to it with a small opening cutout to allow the chicken to wonder to the outdoor run anytime. I would have to add a bottom floor to keep in shavings inside.
My other concern if the top roof would keep the rain out completely.
Link to Wayfair Garbage Can Shed

I also saw someone on YouTube made their own garbage bin shed similar to the one found on wayfair. I might go with that route. This person made their version sturdier and can be easily modified into a chicken coop.

The small storage shed option seem plausible for 2 chickens. I would also opt for this shed. More expensive. But I think it look also doable to add ventilation, roost and a nest box. Along modifying a small opening access to the outdoor run anytime.
Wayfair Storage Shed

I don’t know if this eastern cedar or redwood cedar. Which also has my concerns too. However my plans would completely change if I found a happy medium of what I wanted in a home. Regarding the architectural look, backyard size, location, condition of the home.

Last edited:
My other concern if the top roof would keep the rain out completely.
Link to Wayfair Garbage Can Shed
Probably too small, but no real dimensions are given.

The small storage shed option seem plausible for 2 chickens. I would also opt for this shed. More expensive. But I think it look also doable to add ventilation, roost and a nest box. Along modifying a small opening access to the outdoor run anytime.
Wayfair Storage Shed
More likely candidate.

Found the dimensions.

Screenshot_20210807-130058.png

I lived in Santa Barabara for a few years back in the 1990's. That was like a lifetime ago. Anyway, I am familiar with California weather. I personally don't think either of your options would work very well as chicken coops. There is hardly any ventilation on either build. You would have to modify the structure so much, that I think you would be much better off just building your own coop with a design made for chickens.

Sorry to be so negative on your ideas, but I don't think you would be very happy with either of the options you posted.

If the HOA is your concern, I guess I would make sure that you can even have chickens in the first place. If you are worried about the looks of your coop being in compliance with the HOA, then maybe you could find a chicken coop design with picture and present it to the HOA before you buy or build it to make sure it will be approved.

I hope you can find a coop design that works for you, but I would encourage you think about other options than the small shed or garbage can shed options you are currently considering. Having said that, I am handy with tools and can build things that I need. Sometimes converting a structure is more work than building it the way you want in the first place. In any case, I wish you best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom