Gardens, anyone? What are you growing this year?

Lol I should probably have read the posts following your original one before, guess I spaced on that since I'm tired.

I'm also trying raised-bed this year because the soil here is SO full of rocks, it's not even worth it to try to dig enough space for 1 plant by hand, its nuts
th.gif
Any tuberous vegetables wouldn't grow in that stuff, there's just no room between all those rocks. So far its been wonderful, we walled it up with stones (which are quite plentiful, lol) and the soil we got stays nice and moist for the longest time just beneath the surface. I'm loving it
smile.png

We also built raised beds. I read this great book and it totally changed my gardening style. I highly recommend it to anyone with soil that compacts easily. This is our garden last month (it has grown A LOT since these photos were taken)....

tomatoesandmarigolds.jpg

barefootgarden.jpg

BTW, if you can't get the link to work, just Google THE VEGETABLE GARDENER'S BIBLE by Edward C. Smith. Really great book!

Those are good-looking raised beds!!! Are you going to plant grass seed between the boxes or plastic and topper? That looks like a great book but I know my local library doesn't have it....I've read every book on gardening they have!
smile.png
I'll search Amazon for it, they have everything!

We will begin tomorrow. I plan on sweet corn,potatoes,green beans,butter beans,okra,squash, cuccumbers,tomatoes,onions,pepper,purple hull peas and sunflowers.

This year we have two varieties of tomatoes, some sweet peas and some chilli plants.

I keep meaning to plant some beans, but revision is getting in the way BIG TIME.

On the plus side, we have just finished building a 6x5 foot greenhouse . . . which the chickens are currently inhabiting
roll.png
due to a red mite outbreak meaning that we have to dismantle the coop and insecticide it :mad:

We Have: mesclun, lettuce, beans, tomatoes, pepers, egg plants, radishes, beets, carrots, nastirsiums, spinich, rasberries, blue berries, squash, cucumers, strawberries, sunflowers, and zuchinni

Snow peas, carrots, beans, brocaile, gourds, Black Raspberrys, 2 new grape vines, 2 new rose plants, and are old plants Apple trees, Roses, Tiger lilies, 3 other types of lilies and 2 old nut trees. And I need a bigger garden!
barnie.gif
Because mine is TINY!!!
he.gif
Can you tell I'm desperate for a bigger garden?!

Living in northern florida, our garden has been in for 2 monhts. We are already enjoying rfresh zuchinni,crooked neck squash and peas and beans and lettuce. the tomato bushes are full and we are looking forward to them ripening. We also have brussel sprouts,cauliflower,collards, turnips,corn,watermelon,pumpkin,carrots,found my first little pumpkin this morning. cant wait.

Great, Micki! Rub it in, why don't you?
smack.gif
lau.gif

I was looking at my small, cold little plants today who have been deluged in rain for the last two weeks, my potatoes and corn that have NOT come up yet, my tiny little onion sets and mini melon sprouts.....
tongue.png

Hmmmm.... Eggplant, Peppers, Squash & Zucchini, Flowers, Flowers & more Flowers, Swiss Chard, Winter Squash, Corn, Pole Beans, Pumpkins and Watermelons. I think that's it. Oh, and Cucumbers! How in the world did I forget Tomatoes?! lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom