Geese love digging?

blackbox

Chirping
Jun 16, 2023
California
Does anyone else's geese dig huge holes? I've seen mention of them sifting through mud for grit but this is in totally dry hard packed soil. My geese (all Chinese or hybrids) will all go to either the base of one specific tree or to a big hole they have just in the middle of a dirt patch and almost frantically dig, dig, dig; they've made some over a foot deep that have had to be filled in. They're weirdly obsessive about it, almost feels like a "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" situation, lol. For the tree roots I was thinking maybe they were eating grubs but I've never seen them eat anything, just dig enormous holes.

0h yeah, holes everywhere and about an inch of mud slurry in the water.

One Chinese gander in particular loves to dig out anything I plant and then toss it aside to dry out and die. I was fiddling with it -- so it must be good. I think they are looking for tasty roots because they will root out and devour any salsify/goatsbeard they cross.

Last edited:
0h yeah, holes everywhere and about an inch of mud slurry in the water.

One Chinese gander in particular loves to dig out anything I plant and then toss it aside to dry out and die. I was fiddling with it -- so it must be good. I think they are looking for tasty roots because they will root out and devour any salsify/goatsbeard they cross.
Yeah if they see you tinkering with something they’re going to want to tinker with it too.

Mooshu must read this thread. Found this today:

20230719_122152.jpg

Back
Top Bottom