Geese question... about breeding

I have white chinese, african, and embden. The voice thing works very well with my chinese and the africans and the embdens are new to me and I haven't got a clue with them. I hear differences in their voice, but since I can't even distinguish individual birds yet - it is all a mystery to me. I sit and watch the flock of ten geese and look at their heads, thier undersides, and listen to them and can only guess which is which.

So Ok those that have had their Geese for awhile. Once they lay an egg and you know they are female for sure ( we have had males sit on eggs
smile.png
) Do you then leg band them so that you know that you know they are girls?
After the babies are grown up do you seperate them out and breed them later with other Geese or do you just run them all together?
This is totally new to me. I had a broody hen hatch out 14 babies today!! I am SOOOOO happy!
yippiechickie.gif

Then I have a Muscovey sitting on hers.
The Geese I just got were laying eggs, we just got them on Sat. They are running with my Sebbie boys now so who knows.
love.gif

We only have one gander so I don't band them, but mine are mainly pets and I can look at a goose egg and tell which of the six girls laid it.

I vent sex my goslings and tag them that way. My Pilgrims I only have to tag for identification purposes to keep track of who is who. The ganders all have a band on each male. I bought out a breeder's flock and they arrived that way so I haven't bothered marking the hens yet. Instead I mark anyone new who is introduced to the flock.

The babies need to be kept apart for a while. I have mine in an entirely separate pen away from all of the older geese. Once they're a couple of months old they can stand up to being bullied and don't run the risk of being trampled or carried off by a hawk. Usually after a week or two they'll be assimilated into the old flock and will run together.

Best of luck getting eggs this time of year. Mine stopped laying weeks ago. I can't wait until next year to be able to collect eggs again
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom