Geese

Thats very smart and handy , besides i want the humidity to be high aswell with the watertray ,anyway im going to try that .
How long does the cloth have to stay in there?! (when will the water have vaporised?!)

I think this is a not very good idea - the incubator have a humildity control, there can stand 80% (for example), if i will to put there wet cloth, the humildity will be higher... and the incubator will not use a pump! I am afraid if i will play width this the sensor can be broken.

Here in the Rusia we have some old models of incubator (there are one "bath", two "bathes" for eggs of the goose of ducks, and 3 "bathes" for the hatching time), but r-com have the automatic humildity control - if i will constantly interfere in the process - i am not sure that i will not "kill" the sensors of the incubator... And the eggs need an air - what will be if i close it by wet cloth?

I am aftraid to do it.

Pasha I totally understand you about not wanting to try this. I only put the clothes in there only after they externally pip and show on the outside.. I just run my incubator at lower humidity through the 27 days. Then I put more water in the R-com and turn the humidity up to 75%. I have been hatching eggs for years now and know what to do and when to do it. You are new to it and need to do it your way...

Serv I only have the cloths in the incubator after the eggs have externally piped and they are very moist and stay wet for the 3 days needed... A brand new sponge will work too Serv. Like I said you put them in only after the eggs pips so they stay wet the whole time..

Last edited:
Pasha I totally understand you about not wanting to try this. I only put the clothes in there only after they externally pip and show on the outside.. I just run my incubator at lower humidity through the 27 days. Then I put more water in the R-com and turn the humidity up to 75%. I have been hatching eggs for years now and know what to do and when to do it. You are new to it and need to do it your way...

Serv I only have the cloths in the incubator after the eggs have externally piped and they are very moist and stay wet for the 3 days needed... A brand new sponge will work too Serv. Like I said you put them in only after the eggs pips so they stay wet the whole time..
I used a wet cloth too....wait for it....(I don´t use incubators) last year a goose took fright at the hatching process (nasty aliens exiting her precious eggs), and I lost one gosling because she nibbled it too much while hatching. So as the others started to pip, I took them out, put them in an ice-cream tub, damp cloth inside, plus a glass of water, a thermometer and cling-film over the top.
lol.png
I kept an eye on the thermometer, and the 8 hatched out successfully this way. I still had to wet the membrane down a bit, but they did ok. The fuzzballs went straight back to the goose, and all went fine. And the goose does all this by flapping about in the water!!
lol.png

I had too unsystematic incubation - one egg was in one day, another - in another day... I did not collect all eggs for one day and the hatching was very scattered in time... And in this (first) incubation i did not write any date on the eggs - forget when any egg will be hatch. Maybe this egg, or maybe another...
Next time i try to put all the eggs in one day and write the date on every egg. Then i will have any order.

About your experience - well, tell me please about that. For example, i read in various places about the humildity, the people write that the humildity must be high (65%) all the time, and last days must be 80% or higher.
At the begining for chickens - 45%, goose and ducks - 60%. The r-com king suro 20 have a standart settings: 45% of humildity. I must to down the humildity?
Did you make any incubation width this humildity? About the geese eggs: we really need to down the humildity below as standart humildity (chiken, 45%) to 20%?? The geese will hatch better if the humildity will be only 20% (first days of incubation)? Or it will be normal if use a 60% humildity?

I believe about wet cloth (because when the goose-girl sit on the nest she can be wet very often). But i know that the incubator have a automatic control, if i will make high humildity by muself, the system begin to stop the pump...

I have seen another incubators (for example Blitz) there aren`t any automatic control of the humildity, there are the "baths" (one, two or three). There i really can put a wet cloth, and put there much water. But i really afraid to interfere in the humildity when work a automatic system. I can control the humildity by buttons (stand high humildity), but i am not sure that open the incubator very often will be a good idea...

We shall see, after some years i will have one formed opinion on this issue, now i don`t know
lol.png

Last edited:
We already know that the white one is a gander and the brown one is a goose and the both have blue eyes PLEASE WHAT BREED ARE THEY
When you got them, were other geese of the same nature, ie white ganders and greyish females? Your grey is banded, as you know, and they could well be auto-sexing. some auto-sexing breeds have blue eyes in the females too. I have some here. Look up australian settler geese, see what you think.

Back
Top Bottom