Gender guess on my feather leg EE.

dragonmorgan

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
South Alabama
I bought 3 EEs from my local feed store 4 weeks ago. 2 of them look pretty normal but one is different. It had a fluffier face and was the cutest little thing. Now that its gettin bigger other differences are standin out. One thing is that it has feathered legs and its comb looks different. I know EEs are mutts but they came from the same hatchery so I didnt think they would be so different. Any ideas on what it might look like when its grown and whether its a roo or pullet.

Heres a pic of the comb from a couple weeks ago. Is this a pea comb?

Here it is today. I tried to get a good comb picture. Its hard to tell in the pic but its kind of pink.

Heres a full body pic.

Heres a couple pics of the leg feathers. One is more feathered than the other. One leg is feathered to the foot with a feather or 2 on the toe and the other leg is only feathered about half way down the leg.

what makes you all say cockerel? Still new to this and trying to learn the tricks. It's comb doesn't look too big to me, so what gave it away?

what makes you all say cockerel? Still new to this and trying to learn the tricks. It's comb doesn't look too big to me, so what gave it away?

I see two things. The coloring is one. Check for the thread on sexing easter eggers by color. The splotchy coloring with reddish patches on the wings is a sign of a boy. It's not as obvious here, but it's there. Second is the legs. They are quite thick, pullets as a rule have thinner, more delicate legs. Occasionally you have a hen with tree trunk legs, but it's not common. And you don't tell her about it, you'll hurt her hen feelings
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom