Gender identification

@Chive What does that chick looks like? Could it be a pullet?
I’m not too sure. I have been waiting to see what other people say, because this one is a little more tricky.
The father has a very big comb, so it might possibly be a female. Normally my roosters have a bigger comb than that by 3 months. Also, Blue Andalusians have bigger combs, even the hens. And the mother is an ISA Brown, which ISA Browns mature pretty fast.
My guess is it’s a pullet. But I would give it a little bit more time, just to see how it matures.
Here are some pictures of other Blue Andalusians that are about 2 months old.
First one is a cockerel, second one is a pullet. The cockerel is 2.5 months old, and the pullet is 2 months old.

Attachments

• IMG_6586.jpeg
    IMG_6586.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6585.jpeg
    IMG_6585.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I’m not to sure. I have been waiting to see what other people say, because this one is a little more tricky.
The father has a very big comb, so it might possibly be a female. Normally my roosters have a bigger comb than that by 3 months. Also, Blue Andalusians have bigger combs, even the hens.
My guess is it’s a pullet.
Here are some pictures of other Blue Andalusians that are about 2 months old.
First one is a cockerel, second one is a pullet. The cockerel is 2.5 months old, and the pullet is 2 months old.
This is really interesting! I like how the pullet has developed such a huge comb for her age, that is a good thing :D

That is a very clear explanation which makes sense if you think how genes work.
Glad it was helpful :)

I just searched about the hen and she appears to be a hybrid egg laying chicken called "ISA Brown" I don't know if this is 100% true but it could be.
Yes, I was thinking the hen looked like an ISA Brown or Golden Comet or one of the other red sexlinks. They get sold with many different names, but are all pretty similar to each other.

On the other hand I am unable to find the breed of the rooster. This means the offspring is not a breed am I right?
The offspring is not any pure breed, and not a type of hybrid that is common enough to have a special name. You are correct about that.

I see that someone suggested the rooster might be Blue Andalusian (and I think that is probably correct), so you could call the chick an "Andalusian-ISA Brown cross," or a "mixed-breed chicken" or a "barnyard mix." Any of those is a fairly common way to refer to a mixed breed chicken. Some people also call them "mutts," although of course that is not a chicken-specific word, because it gets used for other kinds of animals too.

Guys thanks for your replies because its nighttime for me now, tomorrow morning 10-11 AM UTC+3 EEST I will take and upload 1-2 images that show the saddle feathers of this bird using a 18mp camera to get some really detailed pictures. One thing I can say about the saddle feathers now is that they are somewhat roundish at the edge and their are not nearly as shiny as they are in roosters. I don't see any shiny or pointy saddle feathers at all but I don't know if cockerels grow them at this age or not. :D :D:D

What the others said. Very well could be a pullet, but could also be a cockerel. This one will need some more time. This is a really pretty ISA brown cross. That male is also very impressive

What the others said. Very well could be a pullet, but could also be a cockerel. This one will need some more time. This is a really pretty ISA brown cross. That male is also very impressive
Thanks for your reply, really helpful. My chicken is really tricky but I hope we will find out soon. By the way if it is a cockerel how old does it need to be in order to have more of rooster like characteristics?

Thanks for your reply, really helpful. My chicken is really tricky but I hope we will find out soon. By the way if it is a cockerel how old does it need to be in order to have more of rooster like characteristics?

If it is indeed three months old, probably within the week. Saddle feathers should come in, comb should get bigger, and then around the 5-6 month mark, he (if it is indeed a he) should start crowing. Come spring, (and depending on where you are in the world) he'll be in full breeding mode!

Back
Top Bottom