Gender of 3week 4day Barnevelder, Platinum Sussex and Speckled Sussex

Piccie updates for the juvenile brood

Lavender or Silver Sussex (getting her wattles)
pullet

Buff or Speckled Sussex
pullet

Double Lace Barnevelder (has anyone seen that tails at this stage means boy - I read this on Barnevelders.org or something like that)
roo

Gold Blue Wyandotte (came as a sexed pullet chick, very flighty, I thought these chookies were normally docile)
roo

Any other intuitions on Hens or Roos?
as others have said, only time will tell, I may be wrong, just my guesses. keep us updated :)

beautiful chicks btw
love.gif

the best time to sex chicks is 1 day after hatch. They will be dried off and fluffed up, you can inspect their wing feathers to look for a single row of feathers, or a double row. double row indicates female. if you google feather sexing chicks there are instructions. I have had pretty good luck with this method.

as others have said, only time will tell, I may be wrong, just my guesses. keep us updated :)

beautiful chicks btw
love.gif

the best time to sex chicks is 1 day after hatch. They will be dried off and fluffed up, you can inspect their wing feathers to look for a single row of feathers, or a double row. double row indicates female. if you google feather sexing chicks there are instructions. I have had pretty good luck with this method.

Thanks - I will definitely do this next time. What kind of success rate would you average?

beautiful chicks btw :love

This only works with a chick that has one parent from a fast feathering line and a parent from a slow feathering line.
Vent sexing is the only 90% guaranteed way.

As for the genders, I think the Lavender Sussex is your only cockeral, all others look female.

This only works with a chick that has one parent from a fast feathering line and a parent from a slow feathering line.
Vent sexing is the only 90% guaranteed way.

As for the genders, I think the Lavender Sussex is your only cockeral, all others look female.
They are my suspicions too :| That chick has thicker legs and is by far larger than the other three. Great nature, I really dig that little chick, so I will be disappointed (as will darling hubby), however if so the little love already has a good home to go to.

Will tell more as time does its work. :)

Hi All,

New piccies at 5 weeks 3 days. Oh dear, there must be some roosters here. Who will hazard a guess (if had the variety as chickies before please indicate) :OD

The Juveniles

The Wandotte

The Silver/Lavender Sussex

Sussex including Barnevelder

The Wyandotte is the only clear roo I can see... I'm not sure how pink the lav suxxex really is, I'm 50/50 on that one.
The rest look like girls so far!

The Wyandotte is the only clear roo I can see... I'm not sure how pink the lav suxxex really is, I'm 50/50 on that one.
The rest look like girls so far!

Hi, The lavender sussex is not really that pink, the comb and wattles are growing, but are the same colour as her skin pigment. Does this help. Have you raised these kinds of chookies :O) ?

Back
Top Bottom