Genesis Incubator vs Goose Eggs

stano40

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Southern Maine
I have a pair of Roman Tufted Geese that are sitting on eggs. Eventually we would like to take the surplus eggs and hatch them in an incubator.

My wife was looking at the genesis 1588 incubator by GQF and thought this may be an incubator that we could use not only for our chickens and Ancona duck eggs but for goose eggs.

GQF does show a rack for goose eggs for the genesis but do they fit properly and keep the humidity levels required for goose eggs?

Anyone that has practical experience with this type of incubator would be helpful to read your thoughts.

Thank You

bob/Maine

Styrofoam incubators are to short for goose eggs in the racks and hovabator use to sell a expansion ring that made it taller so then you can set them in the turners but they stopped making it... If you use one you will need to lay them on the bottom rack and hand turn them yourself. Someone else will chime in to let you know if I'm correct but I have a LG which is about the same size as a genisis and this is my experiance with my goose eggs... I now use a brinsea Oct 20 and they do wonderful in it of coarse it costs like $200...

Last edited:
At this moment, I have 3 Jumbo Toulouse eggs (huge eggs!) in R-com king suro. It does work great for my goose eggs. I set the humidity to 50% (they are on day 20) and r-com holds its temp and humidity rock solid.
I am planning to move these eggs to my hatch bator (genesis 1588) at lockdown, probably on Sunday.
If you hand turn goose eggs, it will not be hard
smile.png

However, there's no auto humidity control in Genesis, so you need to control humidity manually.
Overall, I like Genesis very much, it holds almost 50 chicken eggs while R-com suro holds only 24 chicken eggs.
If you hatch many chicken eggs, genensis will be good for you.

I just hatched 4 of 7 goose eggs in my 1588...spritzed daily and hand turned them...they were on their sides on the bottom rack for the process...last month, with the turner, I hatched 38 of 42 duck eggs...love the darn thing...I have already stuck another 20 duck eggs back in for another hatch...I must be nuts as I have four broody ducks at the moment, two on one nest...kind of funny to see the two headed duck on the nest...they have pulled bedding and feathers in all around themselves and all I can see is their heads and beady little eyes...and their tonsils when I get too close...lol...

You can use the chicken egg rails for the Genesis incubator, but you have to go to the hardware store first. Get 1/2 hardware cloth and screws with nuts and washers that will fit into the small holes on the rail. Cut the hardware cloth to the length of the rails and 3 times the width. Bend over the piece of wood the width of the rails and screw on. That's what they sell at goose egg rails. Remember that you can only use 4 rails that have been modified or they will interfere with each other. They have a pdf file one their site showing where to place the goose egg rails. BTW goose and duck eggs should be layed on their sides, not into the cups. You can put about 16 goose eggs into the bator with the rails.
Katharina

I have goose eggs in our Genesis Hoverbator sitting on the chicken rails with no improvements. I have not hatched anything out of it yet, but on day 21 they look to be developing just fine. I set them in there staggered on every other opening on the rack. They are sorta on their ends but turned more towards their sides. I was afraid the rails would not turn them enough so I marked the sides to also turn them by hand two time daily until lockdown. I'll let you know in another week or so how it goes.

The only kind of incubator I have ever used in the styrofoam. A yard full of birds from tiny banty chickens to muscovy ducks, geese and turkeys prove they work. I like the Hova-Bator better than the Little Giant overall. I have a new HB, the one next lower than the genesis, and the thing I like about it that is new to me is there is NO heating ring in the lid. The heater and fan are in one unit in the center of the lid. I just took a gosling out that hatched last night and it was standing tall with head room and no worry about it getting burned. I like that. The newer HB's are made taller than the old ones and the LG's also, so that is why they do not make the expansion rings anymore. Already built in.

This new bator has hatched chicks, and 11 healthy goslings so far. More goose eggs are developing.

Back
Top Bottom