Genetic Hackle; AKA "Fly Tying Chickens" Info for the interested.

Wow, I didnt know that they were engineered to have longer thinner feathers then normal. I thought they just bred for the colors. It's good to learn something new.

I started tying flys about two years ago, still not that good at it, and it is a great hobby. There are so many techniques and materials involved it never gets boring.

I am working to perfect my royal wulffs and my adams, for some reason i can never get the wings even on the wulffs or the hackle the right size on the adams.
roll.png

Anyway, thanks for the info about the birds. That blue dun is beautiful.

Quote:
That is a hard thing to do, I've been tying for almost 20 years and I still have to concentrate to get my wings correct!
smile.png

Thanks Soonerdog
wink.png
I like the bird in your avatar....is it a blue or pyle?

Last edited:
I had a request by a member asking how to cure chicken skins. I'm going to put together a small information sheet on this, if you would like one just send me a PM or email and when I'm finished I'll send you a word copy of the document.

cool.png

BD

I was noticing on the pic of the blue dun roo that he has yellow legs. The people working with onogadori in the US could use some of them for their breeding projects because most of the longtails have slate legs, when the true onogadori has yellow.

Bluedun, I am very interested in this line of breeding. I have had a casual interest in it for many years but gaining information or sources is difficult to come by. As you point out the blood lines or breeders are Rare!. I am in the process of obtaining a trio of Grey Jungle Fowl this year. Nothing special about them as far as hackle but they are the highest quality blood lines I have been able to locate. I will start there and work toward develop the quality of hackle. I will send a PM about further information.

Wow! Now i want some..
tongue.png
big_smile.png

What are the hens used for? Do they go broody a lot, lay lots of eggs, or do they have longer feathers (im sure not as long as those roos) too?
I would love to see more pics
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom