Pics

Tuckerjamez

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have been looking through all the forums on Genetic Hackle birds for Fly Tying. A common theme I see is people wanting to buy eggs to raise their own birds for this purpose. I am one of those people.

There are many posts from several years ago where these eggs were being sold, but I see no recent ones. To help myself and those looking, I wanted to ask all the interested Back Yard Chicken Members if they know where or from whom these eggs could be obtained.

Thanks!

-Tucker

Hello everyone,

I have been looking through all the forums on Genetic Hackle birds for Fly Tying. A common theme I see is people wanting to buy eggs to raise their own birds for this purpose. I am one of those people.

There are many posts from several years ago where these eggs were being sold, but I see no recent ones. To help myself and those looking, I wanted to ask all the interested Back Yard Chicken Members if they know where or from whom these eggs could be obtained.

Thanks!

-Tucker
try looking at Pokeys Poultry in SC. She is on face book and occasionally post on ebay

try looking at Pokeys Poultry in SC. She is on face book and occasionally post on ebay

While Lisa’s tiger longtails are pretty barred birds, they are absolutely not genetic hackle birds or even remotely close to them. Genetic hackle birds are highly bred with far more specific feather traits (that typically only hackle breeders truly understand) than just being barred.
This is in no way meant to disrespect Lisa or her birds. This is simply clarification and an attempt to keep someone from buying something this is not what they are seeking.

Thank you both. Pokeys Poultry doesn't look to have the feather qualities I am looking for.

Thank you both. Pokeys Poultry doesn't look to have the feather qualities I am looking for.
If your looking to tie flies your better off buying capes and saddles off the shelf. None of the birds you will find will have the needed consistency for actual tying.
The amount of money you will spend raising the birds on a small scale isn’t worth it compared to just buying carded feathers. If your just looking for pretty birds to screw around with that’s a different story.

If your looking to tie flies your better off buying capes and saddles off the shelf. None of the birds you will find will have the needed consistency for actual tying.
The amount of money you will spend raising the birds on a small scale isn’t worth it compared to just buying carded feathers. If your just looking for pretty birds to screw around with that’s a different story.
I'm more so looking to raise birds with a unique purpose, and to try some selective breeding. I do plan on starting this very small scale. I already have standard egg laying chickens, and a farm, and a few other animals. Except for the initial cost of obtaining the eggs what makes these birds so expensive to raise? As far as fly fishing goes, there is a river where I live which has Pike in it. I enjoy fly fishing for pike and my goal was to raise a bird with long feathers for these oversized pike flies to mimic baitfish.

You want Whiting True Blue which were developed just for producing tie flying chickens by a professor at NC State. I’ve got eggs in my incubator right now and will have them in the future.

I got mine from Dragonfly Farm in Hillsborough, NC. She breeds for color in her roosters.
Thank you! I will check this farm out.

I'm more so looking to raise birds with a unique purpose, and to try some selective breeding. I do plan on starting this very small scale. I already have standard egg laying chickens, and a farm, and a few other animals. Except for the initial cost of obtaining the eggs what makes these birds so expensive to raise? As far as fly fishing goes, there is a river where I live which has Pike in it. I enjoy fly fishing for pike and my goal was to raise a bird with long feathers for these oversized pike flies to mimic baitfish.
Keeping the feathers in great shape can be difficult for really long saddled birdss. For pike, bass size flies there’s plenty of birds out there that will work. If your just doing it for yourself for fun then yeah I’d say go for it. If you were tying large quantities of flies it’s not cost effective. Good luck.

Caveat emptor....
There are eggs for sale on eBay that are being called genetic hackle and then “flytie”. These are also not true genetic hackle birds.
Be wary of ads posted that use the term “flytie” and also anyone who can’t tell you the exact lineage of their line. Just because a bird is barred and even if it has long saddles doesn’t mean it’s genetic hackle. True genetic hackle feathers possess qualities that people selling longtail knockoffs don’t even know about, much less have those qualities in their birds. Phoenix and ohiki crosses are not genetic hackle.

Back
Top Bottom