Blue English Orpington:

View attachment 2449224

Black English Orpington:

View attachment 2449226

Chocolate English Orpington (Disclaimer: These are the parents of my birds.):

View attachment 2449227

Splash English Orpington (Disclaimer: These BBS birds are siblings of mine.):

View attachment 2449229View attachment 2449230

Silver-laced English Orpington: (Ignore the yellow legs/feet on the last two photos. Orpingtons should have white skin and those birds have been removed from the breeding program along despite excellent type and lacing.):

View attachment 2449231View attachment 2449232View attachment 2449233View attachment 2449234

Lavender Silver-laced English Orpington:

View attachment 2449237View attachment 2449238View attachment 2449239

Recessive White English Orpington: (Disclaimer: These birds came out of my Silver-laced birds, so they carry Silver-laced genes under the White.)

View attachment 2449244View attachment 2449245View attachment 2449246

Mauve English Orpington (at the base of the log):

View attachment 2449249View attachment 2449250

I am also working with Blue-Silver-laced English Orpingtons, although I only have F1's on the ground and the lacing is not heavily evident from the first cross. You might show the process of developing/breeding them with the calculator though. Some of my BBS birds also carry the Mottled gene as I'm hatching out Mottled chicks. I've also recently added Black/Lavender Mottled birds but they are chicks.
Thank you so much! Sorry didn't see these, my notifs have been flooded from the Cochins vs. Orps thread. You sure have some real beauties!

Alright, I'll see what I can do...

Blue English Orpington:

View attachment 2449224

Black English Orpington:

View attachment 2449226

Chocolate English Orpington (Disclaimer: These are the parents of my birds.):

View attachment 2449227

Splash English Orpington (Disclaimer: These BBS birds are siblings of mine.):

View attachment 2449229View attachment 2449230

Silver-laced English Orpington: (Ignore the yellow legs/feet on the last two photos. Orpingtons should have white skin and those birds have been removed from the breeding program along despite excellent type and lacing.):

View attachment 2449231View attachment 2449232View attachment 2449233View attachment 2449234

Lavender Silver-laced English Orpington:

View attachment 2449237View attachment 2449238View attachment 2449239

Recessive White English Orpington: (Disclaimer: These birds came out of my Silver-laced birds, so they carry Silver-laced genes under the White.)

View attachment 2449244View attachment 2449245View attachment 2449246

Mauve English Orpington (at the base of the log):

View attachment 2449249View attachment 2449250

I am also working with Blue-Silver-laced English Orpingtons, although I only have F1's on the ground and the lacing is not heavily evident from the first cross. You might show the process of developing/breeding them with the calculator though. Some of my BBS birds also carry the Mottled gene as I'm hatching out Mottled chicks. I've also recently added Black/Lavender Mottled birds but they are chicks.
:eek:Your Orpingtons are stunning!

Are the silver laced orps partridge based? And do the blues have any other genes to enhance lacing or are they just blue? Sorry if these are dumb questions (I don't know much about orpingtons).

I got those Legbar photos!

Are the Whites also called Opals? I hear friends around with me that breed Legbars refer to Opals sometimes.

:eek:Your Orpingtons are stunning!

Are the silver laced orps partridge based? And do the blues have any other genes to enhance lacing or are they just blue? Sorry if these are dumb questions (I don't know much about orpingtons).

I honestly couldn't tell you how they developed the Silver-laced color. I'm complete rubbish when people start talking in-depth genetics. Most of what I know is self taught and application from genetics you learn in high school. lol So I can do BBS, recessive genes, I know white skin is dominant to yellow, but the minute someone starts using letter and symbols I have flashbacks to algebra and just panic.

The "normal" blues don't have any additional colors crossed into them to improve their lacing. The F1 Blue Silver-laced pullets have the tiniest bit of silver in some feathers mainly the neck and hackle area but also have white-ish legs which makes identification easier. I just crossed a Silver-laced male over the Silver-laced hens to get them. Unfortunately they threw way more black chicks than blues and I only ended up with two pullets. I'll probably do the cross again in the Spring when I have the Lavender Silver-laced covering the Black Silver-laced hens to get a bunch of split Lavender pullets to breed back to their father. The best F1 Blue Silver-laced pullets will be bred back to an unrelated Silver-laced male and if I did the genetics correctly in the calculator, out of every 47 eggs I should get a laced pullet. I'll continue to breed them back to Silver-laced until the lacing is really locked in which according to the calculator is doable in three generations and then I'll let the best Blue Silver-laced cockerel and a Black SL cover the best Blue Silver-laced hens to produce the first Splash Silver-laced.

Splash Ameraucana
1608707067376.png

Back
Top Bottom