German New Hampshire

They do have decent size for four weeks, and nicely feathered. The lone cockerel looks to be a little over a pound. You have managed them well.

I would wait before I did any marking. I track them to know, but withhold judgment until about 8wks. Then again at 12. I would suggest continuing to track them, know who is who, but fully evaluate them once they have finally molted into their adult feather and have "finished". Especially on your first batch, and you are getting a feel for them.

NHs were noted for their very fast feathering in their day, and should be now. These do, and is appropriate. Birds that feather in faster are converting less energy maintaining body temperature. Birds that do, can use a little extra protein early as to not distract too much from the rate they grow. A lot of protein goes into all of that feather.

Thanks Gjensen. I'll get them into the coop and run and wait to atart judging them until 8 weeks.

I'm planning on picking up a scale to weigh the chicks this coming week. I have a pretty good idea of weighting by hand with all of the fishing that I do and I'd put that cockerel right about 1.5lbs. The 3 others that I know are cockerels are just a tad lighter.

I guess I could have upped the protein for them, but I have been feeding them 18%-20% starter and taking them outside a couple days a week to eat bugs and grass. Give them some greens here and there and hard boiled egg yolks a few times. I guess I could throw some of my game bird starter in their feed bucket, but they seem to be doing good to me.

@Ifish I always appreciate seeing pictures so thanks for posting them.
smile.png

What is your goal here? Are you trying to pick out show and breeding stock?

Some of the four day olds:
My goal for these are for exhibition and breeding for production. My daughter wants to get into exhibition, and I would like eggs and meat. So we plan on breeding, and hatching 50-100 chicks a year. Cull down to about 20 or so for winter, our egg layers and breeders.

Seems like only yesterday ours were that small.
lol.png

Was a nice afternoon so I grabbed the chicks and a book. They played in the landscaping (which needs a lot of work) for about 5 hours. They had a great time and were content staying in that general area.

These birds are from XW’s Poultry Ranch’s, New Hampshire stock. I received them as chicks as a birthday present from my mother. I showed them and took reserve best of breed at the Show in Hutchinson with one of my roosters. They were my breeders for 2015. I no longer have these birds but, have plenty of their offspring, I need to get some pictures of their chicks.

Some of early March hatches. Not great pics, birds on the move and holding wings a little funny. I think I am making progress.........feel free to comment. Some of the mid. Feb. pullets look like they are going to lay any day (no pics. of them), fast maturation.

Things are just too busy right now to travel that far to a show. My boss is elderly and I pretty much have to run the whole equestrian facility and husband and I run several side business's (honeybees, rental properties and a small farm of our own in progress where we will live when we have to leave where we are now). Someday I will be retired and hope to travel all over!! If time allows, I hope to get to a few localish PNPA shows in the Fall and have my sights set on Modesto (previously Stockton) in January. I would really love to take a few of my Kathyinmo line Delawares as well. My own time is a little out of my control for a few more years but life is good :)

Some of early March hatches. Not great pics, birds on the move and holding wings a little funny. I think I am making progress.........feel free to comment. Some of the mid. Feb. pullets look like they are going to lay any day (no pics. of them), fast maturation.

It looks like there is a couple in there that I would use. They look good Zanna.

Do not lose the color in the tails.

They look good for 16 wks.

Quote:
Thank you! I am not having as good luck with the Males. Hatched out about 100 chicks and got about 75% pullets. The oldest 14 cockerals have been culled already, all sickle hocked and wrong coloured tails. Of the 15 or so left they are in the gangly gamecock looking stage so I have not done much evaluating yet. The legs look good though but tail colour does not. Any ideas on how to breed to fix that? Last year I ended up with 4 of about 40 with correctly coloured tails.

Back
Top Bottom