German New Hampshire

Does anyone breed New Hampshires around Rochester, Minnesota? My family is going to a wedding and I have been hoping to find another line for future genetic diversity.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I am about to put some eggs from my New Hampshire hens in the bator tomorrow. I just weighed my rooster and he is 16 pounds. The hens that are laying are 10 pounds. Are they known to be this large? I live in Trinidad in the Caribbean and we get a lot of hatchery birds down here which usually don't grow too large because of the inbreeding. I got theses birds from a breeder and he says the rooster would pass 16 pounds and the hens would get around 12 pounds. Im just curious to know what was the largest you guys have bred or seen.

Hey Guys, I am about to put some eggs from my New Hampshire hens in the bator tomorrow. I just weighed my rooster and he is 16 pounds. The hens that are laying are 10 pounds. Are they known to be this large? I live in Trinidad in the Caribbean and we get a lot of hatchery birds down here which usually don't grow too large because of the inbreeding. I got theses birds from a breeder and he says the rooster would pass 16 pounds and the hens would get around 12 pounds. Im just curious to know what was the largest you guys have bred or seen.

I have had males in the 12 lb range, which is still too large. Our Standard calls for 8 1/2 lb. males. 16 lbs. is almost double that. They become different birds altogether at these excessively large weights.

Ok, well I breed for size, so I look for the largest birds when I do my breeding. The breeder that I got my birds from had about 100 birds and they were all consistent in size.All over 14 lbs for roosters and 9 lbs for hens. They were all tall and didnt have any leg issues.i currently have some new hamp crosses that are really huge. some are Naked neck X New Hamp and Jersey Giant X New Hamp. The offspring from the Naked Neck Cross are over 20lbs. The reason I asked is because it is really hard to get Pure New Hampshire birds of this size where I live in Trinidad, and I would be needing another bloodline soon.

I'm going to be in North Ga next weekend, was just wondering if anyone in that area might have some eggs or birds for sale.

ISO GNH chicks, hatching eggs, or breeding stock. To be shipped to southern Indiana or picked up in or around Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Louisville, or this weekend only Nashville

So I've been real busy lately and haven't had much time to get on the site. So i wanted to update how my flock is doing.

They are 20 weeks. 7 cockerels and 9 pullets. Lots of crowing and no eggs yet.

I think they are looking pretty good, but have some coloring issues in places like pullets tails. Also the wing issue (thought I had some with split wing) on the cockerels is gone, and wing carriage is looking good most of the time. Have some low tails sometimes, but it's mostly when I'm close by. Watching them from a distance or from within the house the tails seem to be carried higher.

With the poultry shows shut down this year we didn't get a chance to show any of them and get a good critique. It's also hard to get good pictures. I might be able to get some closeups of individual birds next time I catch them to weigh them.

I would really like to thin out the cockerels soon, but I don't want to cull a good bird because of my rookie breeding skills.

So I've been real busy lately and haven't had much time to get on the site. So i wanted to update how my flock is doing.

They are 20 weeks. 7 cockerels and 9 pullets. Lots of crowing and no eggs yet.

I think they are looking pretty good, but have some coloring issues in places like pullets tails. Also the wing issue (thought I had some with split wing) on the cockerels is gone, and wing carriage is looking good most of the time. Have some low tails sometimes, but it's mostly when I'm close by. Watching them from a distance or from within the house the tails seem to be carried higher.

With the poultry shows shut down this year we didn't get a chance to show any of them and get a good critique. It's also hard to get good pictures. I might be able to get some closeups of individual birds next time I catch them to weigh them.

I would really like to thin out the cockerels soon, but I don't want to cull a good bird because of my rookie breeding skills.

If you can get individual pictures of their profiles, we could help you sort through them. Be very careful about culling right now. These are not "finished", and this time of year, it will be another 8 wks. Be patient.

The tails will lift in time. I prefer them a little low as they "finish", but not excessively low. A bird with an angle of 45 degrees now, will be 55 or 60 @ 18months. I like them @ 35-40 degrees @ 24wks.

The wings will not lift. They will fold better as they mature, but the angle will not change.

Look at these birds from the top down. The capacity of a NH is not in the length, but in the width. You want them wide at the shoulders and for that to carry all of the way through.

I do not know what you mean by color issues, in the tails, etc. Take some pictures of these points, and share them for discussion.

Take a look at their under color. Do not neglect their under color.

The most narrow and slight (and light in weight) males need to go. They are wasting feed and competing for space at the feeder. A good pullet would be better served at the feeder.

Be careful starting out. Start by getting rid of the bottom 25% of cockerels. Then re evaluate again.

Thanks for the info.

I'll get some pullet tail pics. I was hoping the ones provided would show that they are close to the pic in the SOP, but the black coloring is kinda all over the place in the tails of the pullets.

Top down, they are wide. Wider than any others I have dealt with in my life, but no measurements right now. Pullets are bigger than 2 yo sexlinks I have dealt with for many years, cockerel are even wider and taller.

I'll try to pick out the narrow cockerels. I do not have the capacity yet to line them all up side by side. Spiral bands are on the way at least.

I'll work on better pics since I am over the busy hump. Other than combs and coloring, the type is pretty uniform.

Thanks for the info.

I'll get some pullet tail pics. I was hoping the ones provided would show that they are close to the pic in the SOP, but the black coloring is kinda all over the place in the tails of the pullets.

Top down, they are wide. Wider than any others I have dealt with in my life, but no measurements right now. Pullets are bigger than 2 yo sexlinks I have dealt with for many years, cockerel are even wider and taller.

I'll try to pick out the narrow cockerels. I do not have the capacity yet to line them all up side by side. Spiral bands are on the way at least.

I'll work on better pics since I am over the busy hump. Other than combs and coloring, the type is pretty uniform.

It does not help to compare them to birds you have known. The comparison is too each other. I can see that there is some variability within your flock. The type is not uniform. Neither is size etc.

All you need is a couple pens. It is not required to "line them all up" though it would be helpful. A couple pens, and compare one to the other, making notes on the particulars. One stays, and the other does not, so to speak. If you wanted, once you were down to 50%, go again.

I would keep two cockerels and four pullets from this batch.

Back
Top Bottom