German New Hampshire

It sounds like you are enjoying your NHs Robert, and are doing a good job evaluating them. I like the weights at the 5 month mark. George's advice and mentoring is priceless.

I have two groups of younger birds I am still evaluating, but so far have kept these two pullets. They are 26 weeks and are not laying yet. The cockerel from George really helped put some front end on them.

I like these pullets.

So, when it comes to the body shape of the Hew Hampshire, are the Jacky prints what we're shooting for? Not the wired color, just the shape.

During my time reading about the New Hampshires I have come a cross old photo's and other prints that I cannot find in a search right now. Winning cockerels from the old NYC shows had a tighter U'd back than the Jacky print.

I guess what I'm asking is, How long of a "valley" should there be in the U shape on the cockerels, and at what age?

Last edited:
So, when it comes to the body shape of the Hew Hampshire, are the Jacky prints what we're shooting for? Not the wired color, just the shape.

During my time reading about the New Hampshires I have come a cross old photo's and other prints that I cannot find in a search right now. Winning cockerels from the old NYC shows had a tighter U'd back than the Jacky print.

I guess what I'm asking is, How long of a "valley" should there be in the U shape on the cockerels, and at what age?

It takes some time for the tails on your birds to lift. You will have to have some patience, and allow them to finish. The tails can blow up late. You can see what is happening earlier, but what you need to see is what they will do.

Last edited:
I managed to get some decent pics of the remaining cockerels. It'll be interesting to see how they change over the coming months.

Mr. Gray - Long flat back most of the time. Heaviest cockerel at 8.5 lbs. Most breast meat when handling them back to back.

Mr Pink.

Mr. Yellow

Mr. Purple

I still have those 4 and one at a buddies place.

It was about 2pm or so. That is the south side of the barn, and is direct sunlight with a breeze.

I was looking at where the shadows are etc. This color looks different in consistent lighting, subdued lighting, and bright lighting etc.

Take a moment and look at the Schilling print and compare it to the color on these birds. We want a harmonious blend.

Do not put all of your eggs in a basket just yet.

I understand the color differences and knew going in that the German strain hackles, and saddles were more buff than orange. Mine do seem to be more orange than some of the photos of the Germans I have seen online. In the shade the flock colors looks a lot closer to the Schilling print.

For my first year, I think I am more worried about Type, and less about color. Finding a good trio/quad, hatching numbers, then looking at the bigger picture next year. I know color is important, but I only have so much to work with right now.

I am going to guess that the harsh midday light is making these look more yellow than they actually are. I get the most accurate color in morning or overcast light. These are a little younger, but are their brothers. The photos are not good, but the color is close.

Three left in this age group....20 weeks. I am waiting on TAILS ; )

Regarding your 4 cockerels Robert, from what I can see I like pink the best. Nice body to tail transition and well shaped tail. Your largest, gray, looks like he might have a bit of a tail break and not as smooth of a top line. Purple may end up with a bit of a too bushy tail (just a personal pet peeve of mine). They are going to change some over the next few weeks, but these are some of the things I look at. Watch the tails as they tend to come up. Wing carriage is looking good on all.

Back
Top Bottom