Gestation Period

mc79

Songster
Jul 29, 2016
Clarksville, TN
I have some eggs in the incubator that are coming up on hatch day. These babies will be hybrids (mother is a khaki campbell and father is a muscovy). So the gestation period of ducks is 28 days, except muscovies which is 35 days. I'm curious, since these are mixed with both, will they be 28 eggs or 35 day eggs? Somewhere in between maybe? Just wondering so I know what to do with my incubator. If these babies hatch on day 28, then lockdown begins tomorrow. If they're 35 day eggs, then lockdown isn't just yet. What should I do?

Thank you all! I was so nervous to start lockdown. I didn't want to do it 4 days too early. But hypothetically, if the eggs were 32 day eggs and I locked down for 28 day eggs, would the early lockdown be harmful to the remainder of the incubation?

Thank you all! I was so nervous to start lockdown. I didn't want to do it 4 days too early. But hypothetically, if the eggs were 32 day eggs and I locked down for 28 day eggs, would the early lockdown be harmful to the remainder of the incubation?

The raised humidity could keep the aircell from developing if they were 32 day eggs, But according to a book called Storeys Guide we can be very confident they will hatch in 28 days because the mother is mallard derived and the father a muscovy

Ducks hatch so slow too, ive had some take an extra 36 hours after internal pip to come out

You must be familiar with hatching already?

Good luck with the hatch iam very excited to see what theyre gonna look like!

The raised humidity could keep the aircell from developing if they were 32 day eggs, But according to a book called Storeys Guide we can be very confident they will hatch in 28 days because the mother is mallard derived and the father a muscovy

Ducks hatch so slow too, ive had some take an extra 36 hours after internal pip to come out

You must be familiar with hatching already?

Good luck with the hatch iam very excited to see what theyre gonna look like!

I'm very experienced with hatching chicken eggs. This will be my first duck hatch, though. I guess I picked a complicated pair to cross for my first time! I'm excited, though. Can't wait to see which traits these little ones get! Here are a couple of pics of the mother (well, 3 mothers) and father:

KC.jpeg
Muscovy.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom