Getting 3 Baby Chicks!!!

Mine are two weeks old today as well! They are getting so feisty. Flapping around the tub! I have not given them anything but their feed so far. Let us know what you give for a treat, I'm curious. The wings on mine are getting so long that they go past their bodies now.

I am getting two new chicks....I'm a newbie. Very excited but nervous. I've been researching it for a couple of years now, but am finally getting them. They are silkies and I live in Arizona, so also weary about heat, but going to make sure I have all the proper accomodations.

:)

I am getting two new chicks....I'm a newbie. Very excited but nervous. I've been researching it for a couple of years now, but am finally getting them. They are silkies and I live in Arizona, so also weary about heat, but going to make sure I have all the proper accomodations.

:)
Welcome to BYC! If you ever have any questions about chicken raising, feel free to PM me, or post them on this thread! Also, feel free to post pictures of your new chicks when they arrive!

Last edited:
We are getting 2 RIR chicks and 2 Silver-Laced Wyndottes chicks on May 15. These will be our first chicks/chickens ever. We are excited and a tad nervous. My biggest fear are predators...hopefully that won't be a problem.

We are getting 2 RIR chicks and 2 Silver-Laced Wyndottes chicks on May 15. These will be our first chicks/chickens ever. We are excited and a tad nervous. My biggest fear are predators...hopefully that won't be a problem.
Make sure your coop is very predator proof and close up their door at night, and you shouldn't have a problem, unless predators come out during the day (such as hawks) There are a lot of threads/articles on here about how to build an extremely predator proof coop.

Today the chicks turned 2 weeks old and yesterday they got their bedding switched to pine shavings for the first time! Before they just used paper towels. Here is a picture of the brooder with fresh pine shavings:

Also I am going to add a higher roost later today or tomorrow, all they have to roost on right now are a couple of nice sticks I found outside. Because the chicks are 2 weeks old they get their first treat today! I am not sure what this treat will be yet but I will post a picture when I feed it to them.

Thanks for reading!

(Ellen Degeneres is the black chick in the front, the other two are in the back)

Adorable
love.gif
Was wondering, do they show any interest in the chick block thingee hanging in there (honestly can't remember what they are called, just saw one at the feed store) ?

We should be receiving our chicks this week, hoping to get the email today that they shipped **fingers crossed**

Here's my brooder (it's 40" x 17" x 20"), should last for a couple weeks I'm guessing. I'm thinking about putting some cardboard around the outside of it because I'm worried it'll be drafty.

Last edited:
No, they don't peck at it at all, I am thinking of just taking it out. Last year I had one for my other batch of chicks and they loved it so I bought another one this year, but these chicks are not enjoying it. Sometimes I pull a piece off and put it in my hand and then they will eat it, but they haven't been pecking at the stick.

Your brooder looks great, but you may need to get a bigger box after a few weeks depending on how many chicks you are getting, they grow very fast! The card board could help if adding it would make you feel better but it doesn't look like it would be necessary. Good luck with your new chicks!

No, they don't peck at it at all, I am thinking of just taking it out. Last year I had one for my other batch of chicks and they loved it so I bought another one this year, but these chicks are not enjoying it. Sometimes I pull a piece off and put it in my hand and then they will eat it, but they haven't been pecking at the stick.

Your brooder looks great, but you may need to get a bigger box after a few weeks depending on how many chicks you are getting, they grow very fast! The card board could help if adding it would make you feel better but it doesn't look like it would be necessary. Good luck with your new chicks!
Thank you! I just received the email that they shipped today around 1pm!!

Adorable
love.gif
Was wondering, do they show any interest in the chick block thingee hanging in there (honestly can't remember what they are called, just saw one at the feed store) ?

We should be receiving our chicks this week, hoping to get the email today that they shipped **fingers crossed**

Here's my brooder (it's 40" x 17" x 20"), should last for a couple weeks I'm guessing. I'm thinking about putting some cardboard around the outside of it because I'm worried it'll be drafty.

Adorable
love.gif

Nice set up.

X2, if you are getting more than just a couple they will outgrow this very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom