Getting salmon fave rolled chickens to sit their eggs

DebbieParker

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
Georgia
Does anyone have tips for getting their salmon faverolle chickens to hatch their eggs? I have a rooster and five chickens that are great layers. The rooster is doing his job but the hens never sit on the eggs. This spring I would like for them to hatch a clutch. What should I do?

Thanks!

There is nothing you can do to make any breed of hen sit on the eggs. Broodiness is brought on by hormone changes in the hens and they will not sit on the eggs until these hormone changes occur and they become broody.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi - they are not known for their broodiness. You could get a silkie hen (or two) that would most likely be more than happy to help you out :) The nice part about keeping silkies with Faverolles as the tend to get along well. Everything else I have ever had with Favs picked on them relentlessly. You other option would be to buy or borrow an incubator. The breed needs more breeders so I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to pursue hatching some eggs :D

Thanks I didn't know that sbout silkies. I was hoping my hens would hatch the chicks for me so I wouldn't have to worry about integrating the new pullers into my flock. I'm scared the roo will be mean to them or the hens won't accept them. But the same would be true if I tried to add some silkies. If by spring they don't get broody I guess I'll make an incubator. :)

I have never had a Faverolles go broody. I have rarely had a problem integrating new birds as well, so don't worry too much about it. Your rooster certainly won't object to some new females!

You can't really force birds to go broody - but you can maximize chances. For me, there are times of the year (late spring, etc) where I have trouble keeping some of my birds from going broody - so that's the time I'd focus on. My birds tend to only go broody when they can build a large cache of eggs - so if I want broodies, I stop collecting eggs. My birds typically won't even think about sitting until I get into the 15+ eggs in a pile.

Ok I guess my game plan will be in late spring stop collecting eggs and see what happens. If they don't sit I'll have to hatch them myself. Thanks so much for all of the advice!

Back
Top Bottom