Getting some new babies in the AM- help me decide

Jess718

Chirping
Mar 23, 2022
Hi all- well I started with 4 lovely girls (buff Orpington) but we lost two this winter to hawk attacks. But that’s a story for another day.

I am planning on expanding my flock and am visiting a local hatchery tomorrow morning if I can decide what to get. I just keep doing more research and I’ve been debating going with all orpingtons (they have buff and what they label chocolate- to give myself some “variety”) but I was also considering mixing in black Australorps. And I just still love the look of silkies and would be okay with less egg laying. They have all of them right now so I have to be able to choose.

The thing is I LOVE my buffs. They have been good layers, loving pets, and they are mostly quiet (which I need) except for their egg song which is out of control loud lol.

I guess I want to know if you think it’s better to keep one breed, if these breeds would work together, and if so, which ones? I’m probably going to expand to 8 chickens total so I’ll be getting 6 chicks. If I can restrain myself.

Hi all- well I started with 4 lovely girls (buff Orpington) but we lost two this winter to hawk attacks. But that’s a story for another day.

I am planning on expanding my flock and am visiting a local hatchery tomorrow morning if I can decide what to get. I just keep doing more research and I’ve been debating going with all orpingtons (they have buff and what they label chocolate- to give myself some “variety”) but I was also considering mixing in black Australorps. And I just still love the look of silkies and would be okay with less egg laying. They have all of them right now so I have to be able to choose.

The thing is I LOVE my buffs. They have been good layers, loving pets, and they are mostly quiet (which I need) except for their egg song which is out of control loud lol.

I guess I want to know if you think it’s better to keep one breed, if these breeds would work together, and if so, which ones? I’m probably going to expand to 8 chickens total so I’ll be getting 6 chicks. If I can restrain myself.
If you like Orpingtons, and want to stick to what you know, I would get 3 of each color.

If you want to try something new, you could get 2 each of 3 breeds. Don’t know how silkies would get along with the rest as I’ve never had one, but Australorps & Orpingtons should be fine together!

I do love my buff's and barred rocks. They get along well together. Barred rocks want to see everything you do. A great pet chicken and good layer.
Large brown eggs, friendly pets and good layers that do well with each other in my flock.
buff-Os
barred rock
road island reds
I will be adding three black aus and three speckled Sussex in March.
They are all in the top ten chickens to have.

It’s so hard because I do worry about noise and there are such mixed reviews when I try and get advice on how much noise each type generally makes. Plus personality of each chicken matters and who knows what you’ll get lol. I hear the barred rocks can be pretty chatty and if I lived on a ton of land, I’d go for it.

I don’t know if I feel like silkies and BOs will get along but that might just be in my head cause they look so different.

The Australorps seem similar to the BO.

Since I have the two buffs maybe I do:
2 australorps
2 choc orps
2 silkies

I might chicken out on the silkies lol.

Oh also my husband who didn’t want chickens loves the BOs so much he just wants more of exactly them lol.

Back
Top Bottom