Getting some new babies in the AM- help me decide

I agree with what others have said, orps, rocks, lorps, and the Speckled Sussex, which is a favorite of mine-any of those can become super friendly and all are good all around chickens. Hybrids tend to be super friendly as well.

Thanks! I’m going with the buffs and the lorps.

Now I need to go post somewhere for advice cause I’ve got a hawk problem and I need help.

My thing is American breeds because I live in the USA. I get why people like Orpington and that's due to it being created using Plymouth Rock. Yeah, it's got the same temperament and virtually the same physical aspect excepting skin color. The real difference is feather color and Breed "source", American or Continental. There was a desire to create a better utility breed in England that could compete with the American birds so they used an American bird as the foundation. Since then the desire has been to make them fancier so they put more fluff on them.

Austral Orps are black Orpingtons that were bred to utility in Australia. Other than that selection criteria creating a separate breed they are simply the original Orpington that only came in black.

I can't wrap my head around the thrill people have for Silkie. I don't even find them attractive let alone the hassle of hair feathers in colder climates and their issues of flock dynamics.

Do you mean later on once with the others? I have a plan for introducing them to my two other girls (small transition coop next to run with attached tiny run for inside run). I hope that makes sense. Then they will be in coop with 10x13 run.

Got my new babies!

Just got home and getting them settled in.

Attachments

• 50358FD1-D143-4223-8C5D-935E394B126B.jpeg
    50358FD1-D143-4223-8C5D-935E394B126B.jpeg
    596.9 KB · Views: 5
  • A8B55165-2F71-413C-A532-EBB968780E34.jpeg
    A8B55165-2F71-413C-A532-EBB968780E34.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom