Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

The thread will continue as is. Even though it's long, the start of this adventure is the best part and creating a new one will lose the anticipation of success and the heart ripping failure we experienced on the way.

If the thread is not added to, it will fade into Oblivion

Thanks to all of you who have given me the encouragement and drive to keep going.

I sat down with Mrs Oz last night, looked her in the eye and asked: "So my dear, tell me honestly, did you ever think I would sell a chicken in the Philippines?"

She burst in to a full gut busting laughter and said no. Lol.

That's love.

I have good news
wee.gif

Oz is fine.
I wrote a private message to his mom on Facebook explaining how we were concerned for him.
She said he is fine. Very busy and his wife is in the US with him right now.

Hopefully she doesn't think I'm creepy for reaching out since she has NO idea who I am. I explained that in the 3 years this thread has been going, he has never had this big of an absence and there was a big concern for him. She seemed very nice and thankful for our thoughts of him. She said she would pass the message on.

What a relief! It's amazing how much you can worry about someone you have never met and probably never will. LOL

Ok. I am in an area with reliable internet.

Here is the road to OffGridMAMA's place were I dropped off some chicks and picked up 2.5 dozen very pretty eggs.

Here is Roger the mechanic in Escondido CA replacing my drive shaft bearing. Thanks to transmission pros for dropping all they were doing to get me to the Philippines in time for Christmas with my kids.

Once my baggage arrived I opened the bators and set the eggs 70 miles from their destination. After 24 hours i used an inverter in the car to suppy 110v to the bators for the 2.5 hrs drive. Yep 2.5 hours.

Here is a satellite image of our place. Its the blue roofed house. Our place extends from the beach to the road. google took the picture a few years back just before the wet season during a very dry summer so it looks rather dry. Most of the year its lush tropical green.

Here is the bator's view

The new coop will be to the right on this pic

Last edited:
If you thought it was quick, you should have seen it from this end.

A big 96 hours.

Lorenzo had a great party. The kids are still wearing their cowboy boots here at the airport. Mrs Oz the nannies and kids are on a different airline to Manila around the same time as my flight.

We set an inordinate number of eggs. Hoping for a big hatch but will be happy with a moderate one. Quail in 15 days then chickens pheasant guineas ducks and turkey. There are also 42 mutt eggs in the bator due in 11 days.

We built sewer pipe feeders and set up the original coops with auto feeders.

We built a three level bator with the auto turners I had. It is using heating elements used to mould plastics instead of lights. I put 80mm fans on the end of 3" sewer pipe to draw the heat to the bottom. I am very pleased with the air flow. It holds 123 chicken eggs.

I rewired the display case Bator's thermostat as it was loosened when it was moved.

We discussed medications and when to use them.

We vaccinated 200 birds for Newcastle disease and fowl pox.

I swam with the kids.

Oh and I got a few hours sleep.

Not a bad trip.

Just writing for my flight to Manila. Pics as soon as I recover.

Back
Top Bottom