Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

There are often interesting sights along the road as we travel in the Philippines Three little pigs off to market (alive) via public transport. The Jeepney has "fast n furious" on its body wide mud flap The back of the truck is banana stalks and the truck is full of green Cavendish bananas that will end up in a supermarket somewhere
Those poor little piggys. That cannot be a comfortable way to travel.

Our workers have not baptized their kids because the church wanted $5 per kid fees.

That is outrageous!

Technically speaking I believe anyone (catholic) can baptize.
My mother used to be a midwife student in Ireland, and when premmie babies were not going to make it the matron would do a "quickie" unofficial (and silent) baptism before the baby died.
Of course that may not happen any more for a huge number of reasons...

We just ordered 1000 pieces of nipa thatch for the 1160 sq ft roof of the new coops.

Tomorrow we will drop by the market to order the woven bamboo matting for the walls to pick up on Tuesday along with more plywood.

Toni has a performance at school tomorrow, then swim class Saturday for the kids and Lorenzo's birthday Sunday. On Monday we have a parent teacher conference so it will be a long weekend in the city.

Next week we will be meeting with the Ag College regarding an intern on Tuesday then off to buy a buck and see Bernie on Wednesday.

Hopefully things will settle down after that.

My only other meeting planned is with the Catholic diocese. Our workers have not baptized their kids because the church wanted $5 per kid fees. I am not the best catholic and am not a big fan of organized religion in general but while I would pay it for our guys in a heartbeat, its outrageous that the church is denying people who want to have their kids baptized the ability. I need to kick some pious butt.
Agreed!! Go for it OZ! asking for a donation is one thing, flat out selling is just wrong!

Scott

That is outrageous!

Technically speaking I believe anyone (catholic) can baptize.
My mother used to be a midwife student in Ireland, and when premmie babies were not going to make it the matron would do a "quickie" unofficial (and silent) baptism before the baby died.
Of course that may not happen any more for a huge number of reasons...

I was taught the same thing back at St. Josephs primary school.

The problem is you don't get a certificate.

Last week I approached the diocese about it via Facebook.

The priest said that it wanted details of the occurrence. It was the deacon that was playing hard line but it's very common. The same thing with weddings. Mrs Oz arranged a mass wedding ceremony run by the mayor a few years back.

Well Oz I have no idea what is goin on right now as I am just now caught up to a year ago today. I hope all is well. I see the youngins are well so I assume that went ok. Dont update me yet, let it be a surprise. I figured on comin outathe darkness to say thanks again for all the info. I will stay glued to it until I can chime in with some useful input. God bless and goodluck.

I am hatching my first batch of guinea eggs and so far love it can't wait to do it again but was wondering I candled at day 23 and out of 12 eggs 7 were looking good. I locked down and increased the humidity. The very next day I had a keet then on day 26 another keet hatched and now on day 28 another keet hatched. I have heard or seen nothing from the remaining 4 eggs. I am just wondering why they would be spaced out like that and how long should I go until its a safe bet that there will be no more hatching. Thank you for any input.

Having them spread out like that could be a symptom of uneven heat in your incubator. What are you using?

I would float test the eggs left and see if they are viable. You can find info on float testing in Sally's hatching 101 article.

Good luck.

Its another amazing morning here on CocoBeach.

The ocean is greasy flat. The volcano is clearly visible and there are high clouds that should bring afternoon rains.

Roosters are crowing and goats are bleeting occasionally.

The smell of bacon cooking is lingering on our lanai and making me salivate as I enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning calm.

We have to make the trek back to Bacolod at lunch time but before hand I need to correct the coop construction layout a tad. A little was lost in translation with our new carpenter.

I can't wait to see the kids again.

I am hatching my first batch of guinea eggs and so far love it can't wait to do it again but was wondering I candled at day 23 and out of 12 eggs 7 were looking good. I locked down and increased the humidity. The very next day I had a keet then on day 26 another keet hatched and now on day 28 another keet hatched. I have heard or seen nothing from the remaining 4 eggs. I am just wondering why they would be spaced out like that and how long should I go until its a safe bet that there will be no more hatching. Thank you for any input.

first of all welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
from the San Diego high desert. I think Maybe your eggs werre collected over a week or so? When i hatched mine out I was hatching pullet eggs first time eggs have a history of not being fertile. I had five and three hatched.... Also remember day one is actually day zero for hatching.... and of course 28 days to hatch. But 28 is probably an average under perfect conditions. I wouldnt give up till day thirty or so.

The float test will show you if there is a live chick in there the egg will move about. I would make sure that water is the same temp as the incubator though. But the hatching 101 thread will give you insite on all that.

deb

Back
Top Bottom