Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

I just hatched chicks for the first time. I've only had chickens for a year. 3 hens went broody on me. I bought a couple chicks and gave them to the last broody mom, since she had only been sitting for 2 days. She took to them instantly. The other 2 hatched 6 chicks and kicked over the rest of the nest. When I got home from work, they were all cold and filthy. I stuck them in the incubator, and they've been popping out like popcorn. I tossed 2 that went bad, and I have one last bloomer who's still cooking. 3 mamas and 26 chicks. The first one keeps stealing chicks from the other 2, so she is up to 15 chicks. I finally had to separate her. They're all being great moms though. I'm using a kiddie tent as a temporary brooder. I have 1 hen in my flock who is being rather aggressive to them.

Yeah, you should see her at night. She is puffed out as big as she can get, and still has chicks with heads and butts sticking out everywhere. The other mamas had decided she's taken enough and faced off with her when she was nosing around their chicks. I had to share my daughter's glee and pure joy at having chicks again.

.............................................OZ ??????? ............

still subscribed and waiting patiently
pop.gif
caf.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom