Ghost Barring question.

Ashleyboz

Songster
Oct 27, 2023
While messing around with a combination of a few of our chickens we got a combination that makes paint hens and a white rooster with ghost barring. I’ve been trying to do my research on ghost barring and can’t find a lot as far as how to keep that going and maybe adding a certain color like blue to make it more apparent? Does anyone have any good links or input on this specific barring?

Attachments

• IMG_6261.jpeg
    IMG_6261.jpeg
    490.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6256.jpeg
    IMG_6256.jpeg
    397 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6250.jpeg
    IMG_6250.jpeg
    499.8 KB · Views: 13
I think @MysteryChicken has had some ghost barred chickens, and may have ideas about what other genes make it more or less obvious.

I could tell you that it's a paint chicken with barring, and the barring is showing up faintly instead of being invisible (white barring on a white chicken, but it's two shades of white, or white and almost-white, or something like that.) But it seems that you already figured out all of that :)

I think @MysteryChicken has had some ghost barred chickens, and may have ideas about what other genes make it more or less obvious.

I could tell you that it's a paint chicken with barring, and the barring is showing up faintly instead of being invisible (white barring on a white chicken, but it's two shades of white, or white and almost-white, or something like that.) But it seems that you already figured out all of that :)
I don't have ghost Barred birds currently.

Do you have any recommendations or information on how to keep the barring going with more visibility? I think it’s absolutely beautiful.
You could keep it going with the paint coloration, or you could switch it up by maybe introducing Red, which will make paints with red markings, & ghost barring. But you don't have to add any other color if you don't want to though.

You could keep it going with the paint coloration, or you could switch it up by maybe introducing Red, which will make paints with red markings, & ghost barring. But you don't have to add any other color if you don't want to though.

Sorry if this is a silly question. So I would take the paints (hens) and breed back to the barred (roosters) and it would make the barring more apparent? I do have ISA Browns but wasn’t crazy about the boys with red leakage. The barring might add some more appealing look though now that I think of it.

Sorry if this is a silly question. So I would take the paints (hens) and breed back to the barred (roosters) and it would make the barring more apparent? I do have ISA Browns but wasn’t crazy about the boys with red leakage. The barring might add some more appealing look though now that I think of it.
It might. I haven't really dabbled in this yet, so can't say for sure.

It may look better then just White & Red. Isa Brown roosters are Silver based due to sex linking, unlike the hens which only inherited the gold/red, & dominant white.

Back
Top Bottom