Giant Daisies?

I think there is a failure to communicate.
Its "sex linked" not "female sex linked"
The male has two of the chromosomes. The female has only one.
When a male had two copies of the "sex linked" chromosome he passes ONE to the male offspring. This is the identical chromosome that a female "sex linked" passes.
Now, the chromosome that is sex-linked has "dominant" traits, which in this case are dosage dependent.
The belief is that a sex linked male is passing on one sex-linked chromosome to either male or female offspring (one dose of the dominant traits), so if there is no second dose in a pure cross, one cannot distinguish male ftom female, since both only have one chromosome (dose).
Not so fast, since these traits are not true "dominant" but "dosage dependant" you have other genes making other proteins which interfere or "bleed" into the "dominant" (higher dose), since the threshold for "dominance" has not been reached.
Therefore, roosters will have some variation in color from "dominant.
THIS is why you see the colors bleeding through in the adults. No arguement there, right? ....and it happens in chicks.
The chicks that have one sex-linked (from either parent) and only one will look the same and be " srandard" for a sex linked cross. Now, if you see color variation that is not "standard" guess where it has to come from? Thats right a non-sex linked chromosome. That is the only possibility.

And again I ask, in very simple terms, what sex linked characteristic are you seeing in this cross? You type a lot but I don't see a simple answer to my question. You also state these birds are all female. What would a male from this cross look like? How can you tell, in simple terms, that these are all female from the pictures?

In other words, the female cant look like anything other than a female (as much as always), the male can vary from female looking to anything abnormal for females (which you describe correctly).
So even if all this other stuff you're saying is true. You are saying males can look like females. How then in the same breath can you say that they are all females, when you just said males can look like females?

So even if all this other stuff you're saying is true. You are saying males can look like females. How then in the same breath can you say that they are all females, when you just said males can look like females?

That's easy! You dont take ONE sentence out of context, AND you finish reafing what i wrote!

I NEVER said "they were all female".

C'mon
You want a simple answer? You want the truth? Genetics is not " simple".

Hows this? God made them boys or girls! Simple enough? How about magic? Simple enough.

You have experience but not "knowledge". Knowledge is knowing what we "know", not doing it because we were taught.

For chickens, a 'sexlink' is when there is a visible difference at hatching between the males and the females, either in down color, or if feathering speed. Leg color sexlinks aren't reliable, because there are so many genes that can affect leg coloring besides the 'sexlinked' Id gene.

Back
Top Bottom