Giant Daisies?

I think there is a failure to communicate.
Its "sex linked" not "female sex linked"
The male has two of the chromosomes. The female has only one.
When a male had two copies of the "sex linked" chromosome he passes ONE to the male offspring. This is the identical chromosome that a female "sex linked" passes.
Now, the chromosome that is sex-linked has "dominant" traits, which in this case are dosage dependent.
The belief is that a sex linked male is passing on one sex-linked chromosome to either male or female offspring (one dose of the dominant traits), so if there is no second dose in a pure cross, one cannot distinguish male ftom female, since both only have one chromosome (dose).
Not so fast, since these traits are not true "dominant" but "dosage dependant" you have other genes making other proteins which interfere or "bleed" into the "dominant" (higher dose), since the threshold for "dominance" has not been reached.
Therefore, roosters will have some variation in color from "dominant.
THIS is why you see the colors bleeding through in the adults. No arguement there, right? ....and it happens in chicks.
The chicks that have one sex-linked (from either parent) and only one will look the same and be " srandard" for a sex linked cross. Now, if you see color variation that is not "standard" guess where it has to come from? Thats right a non-sex linked chromosome. That is the only possibility.
I believe you are referring to sexual dimorphism, which means that adult males and adult females will look different even though the technically have the same 'color' genetics. It is not the same thing as 'sexlinked' chicks. 'Sexlinks' in chickens can be easily sexed with accuracy because the males will have entirely different genes from the females, making them visibly different at hatching.

Omg, again dont take one sentence OUT OF CONTEXT!
HERE IS WHAT I WROTE:
You have sex linked females. They have only one sex chromosome that they received from poor old pappy.
The females will all look like characteristic black females.
The males will have one sex linked

I cant explain it much clearer, if you need it in single sentence format...

All females WILL be sex linked, so she will have sex linked females... It was also in reply to others who said they were NOT sex linked. I was saying, the females FROM HER CROSS would be sex linked.
"Context" extends to preceding posts. If you dont read through you cam get confused.

The chicken color calculator has the cross coming out as 50% black males and 50% black females. They might have some leakage from being colors crossed, but would both look similar, until the roosters get their sex feathers in, which might include red-gold patches on the wings, and some redness to the saddle feathers and hackle feathers, otherwise both are black.

The OP just wanted to know if the chicks are male vs female thinking they were black sex links, which they arent, so you cant tell chick gender. That's all they wanted to know, and with breeding back to the hens, what color the offspring would be.

Last edited:
All females WILL be sex linked, so she will have sex linked females... It was also in reply to others who said they were NOT sex linked. I was saying, the females FROM HER CROSS would be sex linked.
"Context" extends to preceding posts. If you dont read through you cam get confused.
Red/gold base color hens, without barring will not produce sexlinks. In chickens, silver-base coloring and barring are 'sexlinked' genes. A hen with either trait can only pass those genes to their male chicks. When bred to a rooster without those traits, the chicks are then termed 'sexlinks.' Red-base colors are not sexlinked, ever.
They aren't fast/slow feathering sexlinks either. That requires a fast feathering male crossed with a slow feathering hen. Giants are slow maturing/feathering breed, not a fast feathering breed. The rooster is lacking the right gene for feathering sexlinks.
The rooster does have dark legs, which means he might have the male sexlinked Id gene. But the hens also have a dark 'wash' on their legs, so they may also have Id. Leg color will not help sex these chicks either.
The chicks from these breedings can not be sexed visually at hatching, therefore, they are not sexlinks.

Thats fine. I dont want to fight.

However (doh), I disagree, and think she nailed it! In her first post she asks if the chicks with patches of white were the males and i think the answer is yes. Also, there is a strong probability that the chicks that look like characteristic black sex linked are females, as she stated.

The color chart is correct (dont stop reading yet) ;)...but everything i wrote addresses the "rest of the story".
There is STILL the matter of the shank color!
I really want to see the chicks legs!!!

This is wrong:
Sexlinks' in chickens can be easily sexed with accuracy because the males will have entirely different genes from the females, making them visibly different at hatching

The chromosomes and genes are the same. The dosage is different. One versus two.
In mammals you have a Y chromosome with only male genes but in chickens the female has a little chromosome but it has no known genes or function other than to balance out chromosome separation during cell division.

If both the rooster and hens have dark 'slate' legs, how will that make a difference in the leg color of chicks?

- it will not

But that is not the case in the breeds related to this cross/discussion.

Back
Top Bottom