Ginger Red And Opal Colors?

The Birds Tim has discussed and the Birds I have originated from the same two that started this whole color, I was fortunate enough to gain access to a few of the first offspring from the initial mating when it was determined they would breed true to color if mated to each other. We just followed slightly different paths with the birds from that point.
perhaps he picked up a modifying gene or enhancer/inhibitor along the way...

hey sinse you are doing the phoenix long tail project, did you use silver duckwing or black breasted red birds? I as this because they are just wild type and if you cross the F1 together you should be able to get a few Opal on a wildtype background chicks. keep an eye for them ok and let me know how they matured

perhaps he picked up a modifying gene or enhancer/inhibitor along the way...

hey sinse you are doing the phoenix long tail project, did you use silver duckwing or black breasted red birds? I as this because they are just wild type and if you cross the F1 together you should be able to get a few Opal on a wildtype background chicks. keep an eye for them ok and let me know how they matured
It was a BB Red I will let you know how that works out in the next two years

It was a BB Red I will let you know how that works out in the next two years
Awesome..! you said the F1 hens were going to start laying in October right? well will you be doing F1xF1 at all? or will you do a backcross to Opal to Obtain more Opal chicks? if I were you I would do F1xF1 you will get more Phoenix type birds, some of them could be Opal(based on Extended black) and some will be Opal based on wildtype, I think this should not take 2 years right?

Awesome..! you said the F1 hens were going to start laying in October right? well will you be doing F1xF1 at all? or will you do a backcross to Opal to Obtain more Opal chicks? if I were you I would do F1xF1 you will get more Phoenix type birds, some of them could be Opal(based on Extended black) and some will be Opal based on wildtype, I think this should not take 2 years right?
I start all matings with an F1xF1 then follow F2 x F1, F2xF2, F3 x F1, F3 xF2 selecting for type first color second, Since this is color introduction from one breed to another I will not at anytime go back to the OE for color as it will be there just need the numbers to get type and color close on a few birds, I kept 32 pullets and 4 cockrells from each mating to move forward with and expect to hatch somewhere in the area of 1000 each maybe more we will see how the year goes. I do expect some to come back opal with appearances ranging from an apparent breed cross, to some close to each breed and everything inbetween. I will likely go back to the breed I'm working on in the F3 generation for type as I get closer to type and color with a closed line from the crosses. The joy's of breeding is never ending but the numbers needed sometimes can be astounding.

I start all matings with an F1xF1 then follow F2 x F1, F2xF2, F3 x F1, F3 xF2 selecting for type first color second, Since this is color introduction from one breed to another I will not at anytime go back to the OE for color as it will be there just need the numbers to get type and color close on a few birds, I kept 32 pullets and 4 cockrells from each mating to move forward with and expect to hatch somewhere in the area of 1000 each maybe more we will see how the year goes. I do expect some to come back opal with appearances ranging from an apparent breed cross, to some close to each breed and everything inbetween. I will likely go back to the breed I'm working on in the F3 generation for type as I get closer to type and color with a closed line from the crosses. The joy's of breeding is never ending but the numbers needed sometimes can be astounding.
Wow.. I admire you Cjarvis... with those kind of numbers you will be able to see some wildtype Opals.... next year is going to be awesome

The Birds Tim has discussed and the Birds I have originated from the same two that started this whole color, I was fortunate enough to gain access to a few of the first offspring from the initial mating when it was determined they would breed true to color if mated to each other. We just followed slightly different paths with the birds from that point.

Carl You did not get any of the first offspring from the initial mating as I did not let any of them go. I did not sell any Opals until three or four years after I produced the first two, and I had already been crossing other colors to them to see how they bred. You never bought any Opals from me!. I know you picked up Opals from others that I had sold to but those birds were F2s from crosses!

Carl You did not get any of the first offspring from the initial mating as I did not let any of them go. I did not sell any Opals until three or four years after I produced the first two, and I had already been crossing other colors to them to see how they bred. You never bought any Opals from me!. I know you picked up Opals from others that I had sold to but those birds were F2s from crosses!
having said that, do you care to elaborate or even better do you care to provide as good or better evidence(compared to svarvis) to corroborate that Opal are infact allelic to dominant white? Few people are as methodic or as systematic as Carl

Carl, being a long tail breeder too, especially phoenix and ohiki. I'd love to see the phoenix when you get done with them.
got the F 1 start on them in d'anver from the males you sent me, looking forward to next year now.

will get a few pics of them once they get a little older, mostly looking black right now. I went two routes one crossed to ex black birds and one crossed to lavenders. pretty much they all apprear as though they will just be black for now, but may show some color as they feather out. will keep you posted on them.
It was Carls old english to d'anvers too breed wise. Had a lot going on order wise and project wise, so I had to wait till just a couple months ago to even get to start it.

Back
Top Bottom