Ginger Red And Opal Colors?

got the F 1 start on them in d'anver from the males you sent me, looking forward to next year now.

will get a few pics of them once they get a little older, mostly looking black right now. I went two routes one crossed to ex black birds and one crossed to lavenders. pretty much they all appear as though they will just be black for now, but may show some color as they feather out. will keep you posted on them.
With all those d'anver varieties available, I wonder if we could tempt you with some test breeding
smile.png
Do you have any known recessive whites available? Especially good would be a white hen coming from two black parents, or similar (wouldn't have to bother test breeding the whites then). A side bonus might be many more Opals in crosses, if Opal turns out allelic to c.

Or if someone wants to test Opal with some of those known recessive white Javas (with no Bl - blue or I - Dominant White in them).....
--------------------------------------------------------

P.s. - thanks for the welcome
smile.png

As you can see, I'm up to my usual evil ways, trying to convince others to do some interesting test breeding
wink.png

With all those d'anver varieties available, I wonder if we could tempt you with some test breeding
smile.png
Do you have any known recessive whites available? Especially good would be a white hen coming from two black parents, or similar (wouldn't have to bother test breeding the whites then). A side bonus might be many more Opals in crosses, if Opal turns out allelic to c.

Or if someone wants to test Opal with some of those known recessive white Javas (with no Bl - blue or I - Dominant White in them).....
--------------------------------------------------------

P.s. - thanks for the welcome
smile.png

As you can see, I'm up to my usual evil ways, trying to convince others to do some interesting test breeding
wink.png
haha just saw this, missed it some how.

all d'anver whites are recessive ( except for ones I have specially bred for dom white in projects). mine are infact from blacks. So yes once I get a few going, I wont mind doing a test run on it.

I love those evil ways, it's how I come up with ideas for new projects haha

Any updates on breeding Opals?

BBB, were you able to test breed Opal with known recessive whites (that couldn't have I Dominant White too)?

Anyone bred the Opal gene on to wild-type (BBRed), developed a Opal-breasted Red version?

Anyone test bred Opal with homozygous Dun (Fawn-breasted Red)?

Anyone test bred Opal with homozygous I - Dominant White from Red Pyles, then tried to segregate out wild-type black versions?

-------------------------------------
I know Ron test bred Opal with a homozygous Dominant White (I/I) hen, & showed very strong evidence that Opal was an allele of the I locus (no blacks segregated with F2, nor F1 backcrossed to Opal).

If Opal was not an allele of the I dominant white locus, you would expect the following to segregate from Ron's Opal x F1 dominant white (I/?) backcross:

op = opal
25% White (maybe opal splashes?): (1/4) op/op (Opal), , I/i+ (Dominant White),
25% Opal: (1/4) op/op (Opal), , i+/i+ (non dominant white),
25% White (maybe black splashes): (1/4) Op+/op (non-opal), , I/i+ (Dominant White),
25% Black (1/4) Op+/op (non-opal), , i+/i+ (non dominant white),

Which is 1/2 white, 1/4 opal, 1/4 black.
----------------------
If Opal was an allele of the I dominant white locus, & was recessive to I dominant white allele, you would expect the following to segregate from Ron's Opal x F1 dominant white (I/?) backcross:

i^op = opal
i^op/i^op X I/i^op =

50% White: (1/2) I/i^op (Dominant White, carrying opal),
50% Opal: (1/2) i^op/i^op (opal),

Which is 1/2 white, 1/2 opal, (no blacks).

-----------------------
This is what Ron produced Opal X F1 white (3 different breeding pens):
- 11 white males and females and 14 Opals No Blacks.
- 5 Whites and 2 Opals
- 8 Opals and more Whites.

Take out the 3rd test breeding (don't have the white numbers), & that is:
16 whites,16 opals, no blacks (from 32 offspring).

If Opal wasn't an allele of the I locus, the expected probabilities (with 32 offspring) would be approx:
16 white, 8 opal, 8 black.

Include the fact that no blacks segregated from Ron's 28 F2 either (& that I excluded the 3rd BC1 results - no blacks there too), that is very strong evidence that Ron's Opal mutation is an allele of the I Dominant White locus.
---------------------

This needs to be confirmed with test breeding of Opal breasted Red (opal on wild-type) x homozygous I/I Red Pyle (& proven not a carrier of c recessive white) (rule out the possibility that Ron's I/I dominant white hen was a carrier of c too), or by test breeding Opal with I^D/I^D homozygous dun (proven not a carrier of c).

Also would be great if someone developed opal on wild-type (Opal breasted Red) to be certain of the effects of the Opal mutation on both eumelanin (black) and phaeomelanin (gold/red).

Thank you for posting.
That is great to hear. It will be interesting to see the hets. opal/dun too.

On a side note:
Could you confirm for me the phenotype of homozygous Dun I^D/I^D on wild-type, Fawn-breasted Red? Does I^D/I^D effect the tones of phaeomelanin - red in any way? I'm wondering if it lightens or washes out red a bit like I/I tends to, as in I/I Red Pyles.

Any updates to test breeding Opal? Eg, developing Opal on e+ wild-type, &/or test breeding locus of Opal, eg cross Opal to e+ I/I Pyle or e+ I^D/I^D hom. dun red, etc?

If someone manages to determine the phenotype of Opal on e+ wild-type, and determine what locus the Opal mutation occurred on, there is a much greater chance to convince molecular biologists to do further genetics research, including DNA sequencing. Then it is a win for everyone concerned.

Note - but I do realise the work involved (& time, resources needed), and congratulate Ron for all the test breeding undertaken (which was extensive).

Once again - asking if anyone has updates on their Opal test breeding (re. my 2015 post) ?

Back
Top Bottom