Girls are moving out!

radar3321

Chirping
May 9, 2018
BRUNS, OHIO
So today was a big day for me and my daughter (lyla- she is 2 and it is because of her we have chickens) the 4 weeks old barred rocks got out of their brooder and are now living in their coop. I thought i would have at least 2 more weeks to finish the new coop before they out grew the brooder Lyla and I built, (yes she helps with every project... hands me tape measure, screws and makes assessments).

Actually it is kinda a funny story as to how the coop got fast tracked to completion... So Sunday night Lyla, her sisters and I where telling the chicks good night when one of them stood on the little perch and stretched her head out 2 inches through the top of the brooder. All the girls just laughed and I just put them to bed and got to work.

I know the coop is not much to look at but it is not complete and just need to make some final adjustments as time allows. For now the nest box does not have dividers in it, the door is screwed on and not primed. In the next week it will be primed and i will add the hinges. Also i already noticed that i need to add a little bit more overhang over the door. You can see light across the top of the soon to be door. And once the bottom dries a little bit i am going to put a couple layers of exterior primer on it.

For now it is livable for them and they need the space... Only thing i am worried about is after two weeks of night time temps in the low 70's tonight it is going to be almost 50 degrees out so i hung the heat lamp in there for them. Hopefully they enjoy their new place and are warm... Will keep you updated. Thank you for reading my rambling.

PS My father offically named the coop "The Coop-Da-Lyla"
IMG_9012.JPG

This is Lyla holding one of my wife's cousin's baby pigmy goat.. Yes she wants one but our city says I do not have a big enough property.

IMG_9337.JPG

It is under construction! Sorry!

IMG_9322.JPG

The four teenagers checking out the new place! Time will tell what they think.

So the girls have been in their new home for a little over a week and a few things need figured out. First i need to figure out more ventilation and I am second guessing the roof. I know the tinted panels will help with heat and light in the colder months but... when it is 85-90 degrees out in the summer. It becomes unbearable for them. Good news is it took them about 45 minutes to figure out the ramp.. very happy about that. Also the coolest thing for me is the past couple days two of the four of them come running when i whistle for them. Its funny to watch. Last thing is i think they love the summer soup recipe i have made for them.... Bowl of ice water with watermelon, oats, and a couple black sun flower seeds.

PS.. quick question for anyone. They all want to pile up at top of the ramp to sleep at night. I have eased in at night and gentle moved them to their perch where they will sit but within an hour they are all huddled back onto the top of the ramp. Any ideas i could try. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Hi I have absolutely no idea what you could try. I have four six week old hatchery layers and they are still inside at night because we are in the middle of winter here in australia but their outside house they share with the guinea pigs while they get big enough to go live with the 4 adult hens has two perches and they love those! With my older hens it took a whileto get them used to the perches but if you put them on it repeatedly, they mostly get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom