Go on, admit it... Do you talk to your chickens?

Does calling my rooster names I don't dare type count? He flogged me again today. The blood on my leg got him invited to dinner Saturday afternoon
sad.png
Oh noes. I got one of those too.
Does calling my rooster names I don't dare type count? He flogged me again today. The blood on my leg got him invited to dinner Saturday afternoon
sad.png

Absolutely and I don't care who hears me (which is probably why the neighbors lower their voices when they see me
yesss.gif
). I also make a point to thank each of my girls individually when they give me eggs.
As do I. They work so hard and should be appreciated.

And they know exactly what we're saying.
I do wonder about that sometimes. I used to have this beautiful cockerel, he was a mutt, but white all over except for this little black feather on his chest. He was quite tame, being a single child he got a lot of spoiling and attention from momma hen and momma human. One day I looked at him and said "Come here, let me pluck that black feather". I haven't been able to get near that cockerel again
hu.gif

On Monday this week I fed the flock some treats and noticed my little banty, Chooks, wasn't with them, so I told the cockerel "Call Chooks, call Chooks!" And off he went, clucking and calling until she came running. It was the cutest thing.

I think sometimes, maybe on some instinctive level, they do understand what we say, or mean, or maybe they are like dogs, who learn to recognise words and short sentences?

I do wonder about that sometimes. I used to have this beautiful cockerel, he was a mutt, but white all over except for this little black feather on his chest. He was quite tame, being a single child he got a lot of spoiling and attention from momma hen and momma human. One day I looked at him and said "Come here, let me pluck that black feather". I haven't been able to get near that cockerel again :confused:

On Monday this week I fed the flock some treats and noticed my little banty, Chooks, wasn't with them, so I told the cockerel "Call Chooks, call Chooks!" And off he went, clucking and calling until she came running. It was the cutest thing. 

I think sometimes, maybe on some instinctive level, they do understand what we say, or mean, or maybe they are like dogs, who learn to recognise words and short sentences?
there was a post here on BYC about a woman photographing her broody with her babies. One little one started off with its head pooking through mom's wing. The chick shuffled back into the safety of mum's hideaway. The photographer asked the mother hen "where's your baby" and the mother hen extended her wing out to reveal the little chick.

People really don't give animals enough credit.

Iirc, chickens have about 23 distinct sentences in their language. All chickens have/know it whether incubated or hatched by mum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've rescued an old cock a few days ago and shortly after the rescue already I noticed how he's responding to the sound of my voice. He was very freaked out at first, but every time I sat and chatted with him I could see him relax. Over the past few days it's become a bit of a game between us, I'd go over to his quarantine pen and start talking and he'd try to call me over to come eat something he'd found... If I walk past or stand there quietly, he'd look at me funny, or make a bit of an alarm call. I'm really enjoying these interactions with him
smile.png

I recently introduced some chicks to my adult flock. And while they are all working in fairly well into the adult flock, there are a couple of hens that really prefer these chicks didn't exist. LOL My flock leader hen will look like she is going to bite the comb of one of the youngsters and I will say to her, "Don't you bite her comb!" and then this hen will cock her head toward the ground, give me the evil eye and walk away. LOL This hen can be very cranky and will usually bite no matter what. But she must be learning my words because she seems to be listening to me lately. Ha!

oh goodness!!!! this is something that i am a bit nervous about myself... as I currently have three babies and plan to get three more next year!!! one of my girls is definitively the mother hen!!! i am afraid she wont be accepting... what do we do to help this transition?! how do we get them to love each other??

our dog snoopy is a pitbull who is an absolute mush!!! he snuggles, loves, licks, and obedient. Unfortunately he also loves to eat squeaky toys and destroys anything fluffy, cute, or noisy.... we were a bit nervous about how he would act around the chickens... the first introduction didn't go to well and ended in a puppy-spanking. (chickens were in the cage so they were fine and none the wiser) after a few more introductions they are really starting to get along. I am amazed and proud of how far along my puppy came and feel that he will be the ultimate chick protector now.

Wonder if this would work as well chicken to chicken? (minus the spanking)

Back
Top Bottom