Goat Thread!

Thanks. Im working up the courage to ask my 4H leader if she will keep her at her farm. It would obviously be a bold move asking her, since I would be setting up another pen for her on her property and asking her to feed a certain amount of certain feeds at certain times of the day(I live 45 mins away). This is probably my only way to have a doeling though.

Well, all you can do is ask. I hope you get a doeling sometime though if it doesn't work out. :)

Well, all you can do is ask. I hope you get a doeling sometime though if it doesn't work out.
smile.png

Thanks a lot!

Hello, I'm currently looking into getting goats for milk. I just want to know more in general of the time commitment, and the expense because they cost substantially more than chickens and also take longer to reproduce.

1) How much space do goats need (per goat)
2) Is it okay to just take my doe go a breeder and pay a stud fee when/if I breed?
3) Top 3 milking goat breeds?
4) What types of kids have waddles
tongue.png
!
5) Do goats free range?
6) Are they loud?

I am interested in breeding goats sometime but I want to find out the basics first.

I was going to join a separate goat forum/website, but I am glad that I found this first. Other forums in general don't seem as 'cozy' or friendly as this, so thanks @henny1129

Last edited:
Hello, I'm currently looking into getting goats for milk. I just want to know more in general of the time commitment, and the expense because they cost substantially more than chickens and also take longer to reproduce.

2) Is it okay to just take my doe go a breeder and pay a stud fee when/if I breed?
4) What types of kids have waddles:p !
5) Do goats free range?
6) Are they loud?

I am interested in breeding goats sometime but I want to find out the basics first.

I was going to join a separate goat forum/website, but I am glad that I found this first. Other forums in general don't seem as 'cozy' or friendly as this, so thanks @henny1129
I don't know the exact amount of space a goat needs, it can change depending on whether kept on a dry lot and fed or if you want to pasture them.

If you can find someone who has a buck to breed to, it's better than keeping your own cantankerous smelly one.

Top milking breeds I believe are Saanens, Nubian and Alpine.

All breeds can have waddles, some do, some don't.

Goats can be hard to keep in a fence, but if you don't every tree and shrub will be devoured and you will find your goat sitting on the roof of your car. So I personally wouldn't free range.

Some goats are louder than others, the loudest is a single goat with no herd mates, so get at least two.

They definitely need a shed, goats don't like bad weather. The minimum is a three sided shelter. If you have cold winters or predators you may want to be able to close them up at times, so a fully enclosed shed with good ventilation is needed.

We use welded wire fencing with a strand of electric for our fence.

4) What types of kids have waddles:p !
5) Do goats free range?
6) Are they loud?

Welcome chixcoop! You have been given great advice! Goats really are a rewarding experience and my whole family loves them! I'm glad you think the thread seems cozy and friendly, I just wanted a nice environment for people to "talk goat". :) And if you have anymore questions just feel free to ask!
henny1129

Hello y'all!
Goats are one of my passions and I want some other BYC members to share their passion of goats with me. And that is why I started this thread! If your new to the thread just introduce yourself and feel free to say what kind of goats you have, how many, etc. People new to goats can also ask questions and I hope that experienced goat keepers can answer! Please feel free to share more than just goat knowledge, share your stories too! And feel free to post as many pictures as you want! Please follow all BYC rules and be appropriate.
Happy goating!,
henny1129

Hello and good morning from Warrenton Va. Our family is going to be adding goats to our farm. We want goats to raise,milk and use there milk to make cheese. What type of goats would you suggest? We live on 6 acres.

Back
Top Bottom