Goat Thread!

Here is the Birthday Boy.....Comet turns 1yr old today....he sure has grown from the Little One we brought home last July.....threw some branches of fresh leaves in the pen for them to Party on....they sure Love 'em....LOL!!

He is adorable! Tell him happy birthday for me! :)

He is adorable! Tell him happy birthday for me! :)

I sure will....though his Ego is certainly big enough as it is....he is the one with aspirations of being the Dominant one....though, Star as queen keeps him in line....for now....LOL....thanks for the compliment....he is certainly a Character.

Hey all, I have a goat question. What other animals make good goat companions? I had 2 Alpines. Fixed males, 2 years old. One of our sweet goats passed away suddenly and now our single goat is lonely. We are looking for a companion animal and want to explore all options. Would a pig, dog, sheep, etc blend well with our family? And if we do go with another goat, what's the best age and how to I introduce them effectively?

Last edited:
Hey all, I have a goat question. What other animals make good goat companions? I had 2 Alpines. Fixed males, 2 years old. One of our sweet goats passed away suddenly and now our single goat is lonely. We are looking for a companion animal and want to explore all options. Would a pig, dog, sheep, etc blend well with our family? And if we do go with another goat, what's the best age and how to I introduce them effectively?

Sure am sorry to hear about your loss....but since goats are herd animals the only true companion would be another goat or goats....it would be an easier transition if the new addition was younger because there would already be a set hierachy by age and maturity....otherwise there would be a scuffle over herd leader....if they are not of the same breed, I personally would get one that would be about the same size at maturity....that way there would be less danger of the bigger injuring the other....sure hope things work out for you thru such a difficult time....though they can get along with other animals....only a goat can speak 'Goat' and they certainly prefer their own kind.

Get him another goat, any age is fine, if very young you will want to keep it separated by wire for a little while to make sure your present goat doesn't become too hostile towards it, and get two if they are kids.

I am sorry to hear of your loss. :( CntryBoy777 and oldhenlikesdogs have both given great advice!

Back
Top Bottom